Quiz: Iris Murdoch
Are you ready for my quiz?
Here are 10 questions to test your knowledge of the author Iris Murdoch. Answer each quiz question with a click next to your choice and you will be taken to the next question. At the end you will see how well you have done in relation to others.
When you are finished taking the quiz you will find an explanation of the answers at the bottom of this page in the answer summary.
John Bayley on Iris Murdoch
1. Iris Murdoch was born in Dublin, Ireland on July 15, 1919.
2. Iris Murdoch studied both in Oxford and Cambridge.
3. Under the Net was Iris Murdoch's first published novel. It was published in 1954 and is considered by many to be one of the best novels of the 20th century. It's the story of a young writer and his extended love triangle. It incorporates Murdoch's many philosophical ideas.
4. Iris Murdoch met John Bayley in 1956 in Oxford.
5. Iris Murdoch won the Booker Prize in 1978, for The Sea, The Sea. A very long story with strong themes of love, jealousy and inner monsters.
6. The main character in Iris Murdoch's novel The Green Night is Peter Mir.
7. Iris Murdoch was given the title of Dame Commander in 1987.
8. In 1995, she started developing the tell tale times of Alzheimer's which were at first perceived to be writers block. You can learn more about Alzheimer's at the Alzheimer's Association.
9. Jackson's Dilemma was Iris Murdoch's last published novel. It was published in 1995 and is a psychological thriller about of a guy dumped at the altar.
10. Iris Murdoch died on February 8, 1999.
Did you take the quiz? How did you do? Did you learn something fun? Sure you did.