- Books, Literature, and Writing
Les Trois Chenes Writing on HubPages
Writing on HubPages - An Index of Articles by Les Trois Chenes
HubPages was the first love of my life before I met Squidoo! Both are great places to write, to get advice and tips and to meet like-minded people.
I began writing about Les Trois Chenes, or 'The Three Oaks', my bed and breakfast, holiday cottage and painting holidays near Rochechouart in Limousin, South West France, but I soon found out that the whole of life is 'subject matter', and I experiment with topics in HubPages and Squidoo.
I hope that you'll enjoy these articles about the life of an English lady in Limousin, deepest rural France; about the food we make, the region of Limousin, the things there are to see and do. I hope you enjoy as well my painting holiday lenses and my online painting course. I hope you'll find all the odds and ends interesting too. Let me know by leaving a message in the comments box at the end.
Why Write Online?
To promote my web site - initially!
I started writing for HubPage in 2010 and my very first article remains one of my best performing, so when I say that I've learned so much on that site, take it with a pinch of salt! Never-the-less, HubPages was my first love on the internet, and it does send a great deal of traffic to my site.
Which brings me around to how I began writing on-line. I read a book called 'eBay for Dummies' and in this was a chapter about getting your web site 'out there'. It involved social networking, back-links etc. It seems so long ago now that I can hardly remember. I began to put all this into practice and at some point stumbled over HubPages. Opened up the site, read their advice and wrote about what I was doing at that particular moment - making my own yogurt.
It wasn't very commercially-orientated as the whole gist of it is that you don't need to actually buy anything. I didn't have the concept at the time that I could earn money from writing. As it turned out, this was just as well as I don't earn enough to write home about.
And now? It's a bit like a game. Can I write better articles, get more clicks, take better photos, up my game. Can I really get cash?
And of course I love writing - or rather, I love researching - writing is the hard work. Once I started I began to see my daily life was just a long list of fascinating subjects - how do you make compost, take care of cacti, work a video or play the piano? There are certainly more things to write about than time to do the writing.
And the web site? Most of my traffic comes from HubPages - so it worked!
eBay for Dummies Started Me in the Right Direction - Good for learning about more than just eBay!
If you're thinking about selling on eBay then this book is ideal. Like all the 'Dummies' books, it's written in real english, (not geek-speak) and is understadable by your average middle aged woman - ie me). But it is much more than how to buy and sell on eBay - it's about managing yourself on line in general and it certainly pointed me in the right direction;
My Profile on HubPages
Les Trois Chenes Profile on HubPages
This is sort of my HubPage Curriculum Vitae!
Collections of Hubs:
- Find an article by Les Trois Chenes This is an index of my HP writing and an attempt to keep tabs on my Hubs.
- Do I see benefits from my HubPages? Why write articles on HubPages? Do I make money? Many people clearly get something out of it and in this article I try to assess exactly what I gain from being a member of the HubPages community. I sort of gave up plotting income when it really didn't seem to go up at all!
- Why You Should Participate in HubPages Competitions, there's more to gain than hard cash!
Articles that have won prizes in the HubPages contests:
- Where to buy Limoges Porcelain in Limousin, France (Overall winner September 2010)
- The City of York - Tips for a Vacation on a Budget (Staff 'Pick of the Day' January 2011 Money Grows On Hubs)
- Tips for a budget Friendly Holiday in S W France (Staff 'Pick of the Day' January 2011 Money Grows On Hubs)
- How to Bend Copper Pipes With or Without Plumbing Tools (staff pick winner Sept 2011 Clogs to Coins)
- Cassinomagus Roman Archeological Site at Chassenon The Charente South West France (Week 3 winner of the Rigorous Review Contest November 2012)
Hub of the Day:
Hurray, I was thrilled when these hubs were selected as 'Hub of the Day'
- 12 July 2011 The City of York - Tips for a Vacation on a Budget
- 20 July 2011 Where to buy Limoges Porcelain in Limousin, France
- 25 December 2011 (Yes Christmas Day!) An Illustrated Guide to the Town of Brantome, in the Dordogne, South West France
- 21 September 2012 York, City of Chocolate - the Story of Cravens, Rowntrees and Terrys in the Chocolate Industry UK
Write your own pages on HubPages absolutely FREE Join now
What is HubPages?
It's a social content community, like Squidoo
HubPages, like Squidoo, is a social content community for writers where you can produce one-page web sites on any topic you like.
Writers on HubPages, HP, are known as Hubbers, and each hubber is allocated a free sub-domain. It's important to know that all intellectual property rights to this material is retained by the author.
The text of an article can be augmented with a range of modules including tables, maps, pictures, polls etc and these are called Hubs.
Money is earned through advertising on Hubs, through HubPages' own Advertising Program, Google Adsense, eBay and Amazon.com, and also through the regular contests which have great money prizes.
What's the difference between Hubpages and Squidoo? HP works slightly differently to Squidoo, has a different look and is, arguably, suited to a slightly different types of article or, at least, a different approach.
HubPage Stuff - And the HubPages community
- Why You Should Participate in HubPages Contests and Win More than Hard Cash
Write for HubPage contests. I earned a whole lot of dosh!
- Limousin Cattle in Limousin. World Famous French Beef Cattle Breeds
Limousin is famous for its beef cattle
- Cheap Lunch Spots in Limousin, South West France
Lunch is just so important in France
- Where to eat in France - the Lakes of the Haute Charente
- A Limousin Witch Story for Halloween - Amelie the Witch
This story was told by the owner of the riding stables, down by the lake one sunny afternoon. A great ghost story for Halloween
- Ecological Lawn Mowers - The Goose
Keep geese to mow that lawn
- Life in Limousin: Tips for the B&B to be (Part 1)
Tips for new B&B owners
- Limousin: the Land of Wolves and Witches
Legends of Limousin
- Whats on in and around Rochechouart, Limousin - Events 2011
Events around Limousin
- Romantic Weddings in Limousin France
why not get married in a French chateau
- French Food and Wine Festival - Vignerons et Gourmands at Saint Junien, Limousin, S W France
This is a fabulous food and wine convention
- Cheronnac Oyster Festival: Enjoy the taste of Limousin, France
Catch this oyster festival and see the oysters arriving from the west coast in a pony and trap
- Les Trois Chenes Profile in Pictures
Our life in pictures
- Ryanair - Low Cost Carrier - What you need to know about cutting costs of budget flights
Get great bargains and avoid getting stung
- Limousin - Favourite family holiday destination in France 2012
Limousin is great for family holidays
- Holiday in France 2012 - Family Activity Vacations
Activity family holidays
- Gites de France can help you find your ideal holiday home in France
Find out more about Gites de France
- Tips for a Budget-Friendly Holiday in S W France
Holidays in Limousin are great bargains
- Activity Holidays for Kids and Adults in Limousin, S W France
Activity holidays for kids and adults in Limousin
- Rambling in France: Vayres and the Chestnut Drying House
Walk aroud Vayres, Limousin S W France
- Walking in France: Videix in the Snow
A walk in the snow around a tiny hamlet deep in the heart of rural France
- A Breakfast Menu from Les Trois Chenes Bed and Breakfast
See what we serve for breakfast at Les Trois Chenes
- The Story of a Bed and Breakfast in France
A Bed and Breakfast in Limousin
- Mushrooms from the Wild
Gathring mushrooms from the wild
- Stir up Sunday Christmas Puddings Day
Christmas pudding traditions
- How to organise an Easter Egg Hunt
Organise an Easter Egg hunt - or just join in ours!
- The Autumn fruit and vegetable garden
A tour around the Les Trois Chenes garden
- Christmas Markets in Limousin 2011
Christmas markets in Limousin
- The Spring Garden
Take a tour around our spring garden
- Easter Egg Hunts - The Vital Clues for an Easter Game
Clues for an Easter Egg Hunt
- White Plates of Limoges, Princess of Porcelain
A brief hisotry of porcelain and Limoges
- Where to buy Limoges Porcelain in Limousin, France
Where are the best and cheapest places to buy Limoges porcelain?
- Limoges porcelain lamps
Limoges porcelain is translucent and so perfect for lamps
- Best Limoges porcelain boxes
Limoges porcelain boxes make perfect gifts
- Limoges Porcelain Decorative Eggs for Easter
These pretty porcelain boxes are in the shape of eggs. Faberg worked with Limoges porcelain producers to make some of his fabulous eggs
- Lampe Berger or Berger Lamps
What are Berger lamps and how do they work? There are many Berger lamps made from Limoges Porcelain
- Limoges Porcelain Boxes - Pretty Rabbits for Easter
Pretty Easter Rabbit boxes make great Easter gifts
- How to stretch a canvas yourself
It is not so difficult to stretch your own canvas
- Best Gifts for Painters and Artists Part 1
What to buy for the artist in your life (Part 1)
- Best Gifts for Painters and Artists Part 2 - charcoal, conte and oil paint
What to buy for the artist in your life (Part 2)
- What is pastel? The history of oil pastel and chalk pastel
The history is fascinating
- Painting Limousin - Monet Painted in Limousin
Modern art in Limousin - Monet was here!
- How to choose a painting holiday in France
There are a few things to consider besides where and how much ....
- Learn to Paint in France
Come and learn to paint and draw with us in beautiful Limousin
- Oil Painting for Beginners - Tools and Materials
What do you really need to get started with oil painting?
The 2011 film 'La Guerre des Boutons' or, 'The War of the Buttons' was filmed in Biennac, just ten minutes from Les Trois Chenes Bed and Breakfast, Rochechouart
- Casting for La Guerre des Boutons 2011 at Rochechouart, Limousin
I went to audition as an extra for this film (see what happened!)
- War of the Buttons The Book and the Movies
This is a French film, called 'La Guerre des Boutons' and it was filmed very near Les Trois Chenes. Some of the film crew stayed in our gite while it was being made. It's a super film.
- Molly, An English Pointer Puppy in France
Our intrepid hunting dog
- The Story of our Pointer Puppies
And thereby hangs a tale
- What Our Pointer Pups Did Next
Life in their new home
- Bee Keeping for Beginners - Why Keep Bees?
To save the world?
- Our Pointer Puppy Diced with Death
Our puppy diced with death when she swallowed a peach stone but the story was actually a good deal more complicated
- Flowers are vegetables too!
Eat your flowers
- How to make sugared flowers
Sugared flowers make charming, edible decorations
- Tagine Pot versus French Casserole for Cooking Chicken
Does it make any difference?
- What is a Tagine, (or Tajine) Pot?
Well, what is a Tajine (or Tagine)?
- Pie birds and pie funnels help you bake the perfect pie
What a pie bird is and what it does.
- The Problem with Food
Why won't children eat food? What is the problem and why aren't people worried about it?
- How to grow medlars
A lovely, little tree
- The Romance of the Black Tulip
A bit about gardening but also about history and culture
- What is a Medlar?
An old-fashioned fruit
- What is compost? How do you Make Compost? Everything you need to know about composting
Good soil is where it all starts - and you can help to reduce waste
- The Spring Garden in Limousin
Pictures and ideas for your Spring garden
This spacious house and barn in the centre of our hamlet is only 35,000 euros - and I bet the owner would accept an offer at that!
- Why buy property in Limousin France
Property is a real bargain in France - especially Limousin
- How to make your own natural yogurt (yoghurt)
Make your own - no gadgets
- Stale Bread Recipes - Delicious ways to use your old bread
Wate not want not - don't waste food - use it to create really wonderful dishes
- Best Chocolate Cake Recipe Ever for a Wickedly Moist French Dessert
Moist French chocolate cake
- How to make peach jam
Peach jam recipe
- Moist Almond and Orange Cake - A Gluten Free Cake Recipe
This is a great cake and it's gluten-free
- How to make easy baked peaches recipe
Baked peaches, quick and easy peach dessert recipe
- Medlar jam or cheese recipe
Medlar jam recipe
- How to make Marrow and Ginger jam
marrow and ginger jam recipe
- Quick & Easy Sweet or Savoury: French Toast Recipe
French toast - sweet or savoury
- Cherry Clafouti - a Traditional French Dessert Recipe
Cherry clafoutis recipe
- How to Make Weed Soup
Use wild herbs to make soup
- How to make Summer Pudding
Summer pudding recipe
- Easy Chicken Tajine Recipe
Chicken tagine recipe
- Flognarde - Traditional Limousin Apple Dessert Recipe
- Edible flowers - Elderflower and Acacia Flower Fritters
Flower fritters recipe
- Traditional English Christmas Cake Recipe
My great Aunt's Christmas cake recipe
- Traditional Stuffed Cabbage Recipe from Limousin France
- Queen of Puddings - Stale bread recipe
Queen of Puddings - old bread recipe
- Stale Bread Recipes - Recipe for Bread Pudding with a Limousin Twist
Bread pudding with a surprise Limousin twist
- How to make Peach and Apple Chutney for Christmas
Peach chutney recipe
- Creamy Jerusalem Artichoke and Carrot Soup Recipe
Jerusalem artichoke soup recipe
- Spicy winter fruit pudding for Christmas
A winter version of summer pudding
- Wild Mushroom Soup
Wild mushroom soup recipe
- Apple Cake - a Limousin Speciality
Apple cake recipe
- Vegetarian and Vegan Wild Mushroom Tart
Mushroom tart recipe
- Rat Novelty Birthday Cake
Quick and easy no bake rat cake
- Chicons in Cheesy Sauce
- Fish for Friday - easy one pot fish dish
Easy one pot fish dish
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup recipe
Pumpkin soup recipe
- Chicken gizzard curry
Make delicous curried chicken gizzards
- Stuffed Grape Vine Leaves
These stuffed vine leaves, or dolmas, are a Turkish recipe. I love Turkish food and these dolmas are delicious and easy to make.
- Medlar Cheesecake
A cheesecake with a difference
- Medlar Jelly
Clear, amber jelly that you can serve as a jam or with meats
- The Medieval Festival of Rochechouart in Limousin, France
This medieval festival in the shadow of the magnificent Chateau of Rochechouart is not to be missed
- A Pilgrimage along the Route of St Jacques and the Church of Saint-Eutrope
Visit the Church of Saint Eutrope at Les Salles Lavauguyon and follow in the footsteps of the Pilgrims of Saint Jacques de Compostelle
- French Castles - Chateau de Peyras Roumazieres-Loubert
Chateu de Peyras
- Rochechouart and the land of the meteorite
- Oradour-sur-Glane A World War II Memorial and Visitor Centre in, Limousin, France
Come to Oradour, weep, but don't forget.
- An Illustrated Guide to the Town of Brantome, in the Dordogne, South West France
Brantome: classified as one of the most beautiful villages in France
- The Route of Richard the Lion Heart
Follow the route of King Richard the Lion Heart and discover a chain of castles, medieval churches and fascinating villages
- French castles The Chateau of Montbrun, France
The Chateau of Montbrun is for sale!
- Videix, A Village in S W France in Words and Pictures
- Gustav Metzger and Contemporary Art in the Chateau of Rochechouart
Discover contemporary art in Rochechouart
- Turkey Loses a Magnificent Monument - The Statue of Humanity or Insanlık Aniti by Mehmet Aksoy
The destruction of this monument is such a shame
- Brantome - The Story of Stone
Brantome is spectacular
- York, City of Chocolate - the Story of Cravens, Rowntrees and Terrys in the Chocolate Industry UK
York and Chocolate
- Horrible Holidays in Haunted York for Halloween
York is the most haunted city in the world
- Secret Things to See and Do in the City of York
Secret things to see and do in York - insider information
- Visit Bishopthorpe, York
- The City of York - Tips for a Vacation on a Budget
There's no getting away from it, York can be expensive
- How to mark a route on Google Maps, save personalised maps and get backlinks
This is for anyone who wants to mark a walk a boundary or a route on a Google Map
- The Horse Meat Scandal in the UK
Yet another food scare / scandal in Britain. Just what are they doing with our food?
- How to Bend a Copper Pipe With and Without Plumbing Tools
A few tricks of the trade
- Lolita Shoes - Classic, Gothic and Sweet Tokyo Fashion
Sweet little Lolita fashion - I love it!
- Cath Kidston's Vintage Design Success
Cath Kidston was on BBC Radio 4 Desert Island discs
Still Need Online Writing Advice? - Search on Amazon
Where in the World Are We? - In Limousin, a hidden corner of South West France
Calling all lens masters! Join our fabulous, supportive group on this facebook page: Post Your Squidoo Lenses Here Post links, network and make friends.