ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Books, Literature, and Writing

Review of The Big Tiny by Dee Williams

Updated on September 4, 2014

This is the first non-technical book I have read in a long time. My reading list typically contains books regarding programming languages and am currently working on learning Ruby on Rails from a book even as we speak. Living in a tiny house has always intrigued me. I often wonder would my wife and I be able to part with the majority of our possessions in order to make the switch to simple living in a tiny house. So I had to read this book to when I saw it on my wife's night stand. 

The Big Tiny: A Built-It-Myself Memoir is an autobiographical  journey into author Dee Williams quest to live a simpler life after she experienced a health scare. After a life threatening condition almost ended her young life, she began to question is there more to life than living paycheck to paycheck, barely scraping out a living, while dealing with constant home repairs of her mostly renovated home in Washington state.

This book follows Dee's saga form self-actualization about the desire of tiny house living. Then on to the concept and design of her eighty four square foot house with the help of friends, family, and a long "how-to" book list. Make no mistake, Dee taught herself the building skills needed to build her tiny house and did the majority of her work herself! Finally the move of her tiny house to the desired location near Olympia where she could call home. 

Through the book Dee Williams gives us a peek into the trials and tribulations experienced in the building of her tiny house and living in such a spartan existence. This book includes many humorous stories and some sad ones. Even Dee herself admits she is happy about 85% of the time with tiny house living but that she sometimes misses the luxuries of  indoor plumbing and a hot shower in her own home the other 15%.

This is a great book and a good lighthearted "tiny house" primer for anyone thinking of downsizing and living off the grid!

Other great "Tiny House" books on Amazon!

Video of Dee Williams talking about her book "The Big Tiny" and her quest for simple living.

Guestbook

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.