- Books, Literature, and Writing
The Books of Oz by L.Frank Baum
Baum's Land of Oz Books
I don't know what exactly sparked my interest in wanting to read this children's book series. Perhaps seeing the film The Wonderful Wizard of Oz so many times as a child or perhaps, because I live near where the author was born. But I recently wanted to start reading this series. I figured that perhaps other would be interested in these books too. So here is a lens all about the books in that tell of the land of Oz.
The Oz Books in Order
only ones written by L. Frank Baum
1. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - This is the first book in the series, and the one that the film is based on. Baum intended this to be the only book written about Oz, but people kept asking for more stories. This is about Dorothy and her adventures to the Emerald City to return home to Kansas.
2. The Marvelous Land of Oz - It would be 4 years after his first Oz book until this one would be published. It took a lot of encouragement and pleading from fans of the first story to get Mr. Baum to write further adventures in Oz. While Dorothy did not appear in this story her companions the Scarecrow, and The Tin Woodsman ( who we learn is called Nick Chopper) along with a cast of new characters are the focus of this book. Civil War in Oz?
3. Ozma of Oz - Dorothy returns for the third book. She gets thrown overboard a sailing ship, and is stranded in the land of Ev. She and her Uncle's hen, Bill(ina) meet some interesting people. Later Dorothy's friends from Oz coincidentally show up, and rescue her from the vain Princess of Ev. Ozma is really there to find the Queen of Ev, and her 10 children. So Dorothy and all go to the land of the Nome King to rescue them.
4. Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz - Baum was compelled to write this further adventure of Dorothy due to the fans asking for more. He even took some of their suggestions to make this story, so it was a combined effort of author and fans. Dorothy while trying to get back to Kansas via California falls into the earth. She meets up with the Wizard, and along with her new friends they travel underground to the land of Oz.
5. The Road to Oz - Another book written from fan suggestions. Dorothy, Toto, and a new assortment of strange fellows travel to find Oz. One of her companions is the Shaggy Man, who sounds like a scraggly homeless man. Kinda creepy if you ask me. They get "lost" and meet some odd people along the way. It ends with a birthday party for Princess Ozma, and a special guest appearance of Santa Claus.
6. The Emerald City of Oz - Dorothy's aunt and uncle cannot pay their mortgage on the farm; Dorothy brings them back to Oz . The Nome king wants his magic belt back, and he is scheming to take over the Emerald city to get it.
7. The Patchwork Girl of Oz - Another inanimate is brought to life, and it is a Patchwork Girl. An accident occurs during this transformation. The newly made Patchwork girl, named Scraps, a munchkin boy, and a glass cat must save the day. They journey through out the various regions of Oz to retrieve ingredients to save two people from being left as marble statues forever.
8. Tik Tok of Oz - Shaggy Man returns for this volume where he learns that his brother has been kidnapped by the Nome King. He runs into a group of some new character and a few old ones. They set out to rescue Shaggy Man's brother.
Oz - Stravaganza in Chittenango, NY - The birthplace of L. Frank Baum
Every year during the town of Chittenango, which is the birthplace of L. Frank Baum throws a huge weekend long festivities celebrating the author and his works of Oz. If you get the chance to come to CNY around this time of year it is something to experience. For more info please go to - http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/home