- Books, Literature, and Writing
The Secret Life Of Cee Cee Wilkes
An Excellent Book Club Choice
This book was a real page turner! It was one I just couldn't put down.
In this book, I found myself caught up in the life of Cee Cee Wilkes and rooting for every thing to turn out right in her life. The book starts out when Cee Cee is a young impressionable girl of 16 who had lost her mother when she was 12. The author takes you into Cee Cee's life and you follow her as she becomes involved with a man who convinces her to help him in a kidnapping for a good cause.
This book is all about relationships. You follow the relationships of Cee Cee with her mother, with the men in her life, with the woman who takes her in and most of all with her daughter. The book keeps you interested with an unsolved murder, a kidnapping, a missing child and a lifetime of deception.
In this lens I will introduce you to the book and present some information that I will use when discussing this book at my book club.
photo by Mary Beth Granger
The Secret Life Of Cee Cee Wilkes - by Diane Chamberlain
Are you looking for a good book for book club? This one lends to interesting discussions.
Book Club Questions
a look at Cee Cee Wilkes
My book club is reading this book for our January meeting. Since I am the hostess for the month, I have come up with a series of questions for us to use to stimulate conversation on the book. Here are the questions I will be using .
1. Cee Cee had many relationships that were important in her life. Who do you think was the most influential person in her life?
2. Cee Cee loved her daughter Cory very much. The words "smothered her with love" come to mind when looking at that relationship. Why do you think their relationship suffered once Cory became a teenager?
3. How did you feel about Cory's reaction to her mothers deception?
4. What did you think about Jack as a husband and father? When did you first feel he'd be good for Eve?
5. How did you feel about the letters that Cee Cee's mother left for her? Do you think they made a difference in her life?
6. Do you think Eve should have told Jack the secret when she first met him? If not then, before they were married?
7. Do you think there is a time that secrets should be kept from spouses and/or children?
Book Club Discussion
everyone enjoyed The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes
We have now had our January meeting and I have added some of our comments in this section.
It isn't often that we read a book that everyone really likes, but on this book it was unanimous...everyone thought the book was great.
In our discussion we talked about the various personalities in the book. Of course our main discussion revolved around Cee Cee. One of the biggest areas of discussion was on whether or not she should have told her husband Jack about her past. We also discussed when would have been the best time to tell him. Most of the members thought she should have told him when they were first expecting a baby. Others thought she should have told him before they got married.
When we discussed Jack, some people said that at first they were leery of his intentions, while other members loved him from the start. All agreed he turned out to be the perfect husband for Cee Cee.
We also discussed Corey a lot. Some people empathized with her and others just didn't like her and didn't feel she gave her mother a fair shake. There were a lot of different points of view in this area.
Everybody enjoyed the twist and turns at the end of the book. They felt the author did a great job of ending the book, without making everything perfect like some authors seem to do. This author tied up enough of the story to make us feel satisfied, but not so much as we felt it was unreal.
Overall everyone agreed, they were glad they read the book and would highly recommend it to others.
Does this sound like a book you'd read? - why or why not.
What did you think?
Have you read any of these books by Diane Chamberlain? - Vote for your favorites, or add any I missed.
Now that I have read The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes I am looking forward to reading other books by Diane Chamberlain. Diane Chamberlain is an award winning novelist that writes books that explore human relationships.?