10 Ergonomic Standing Desks to Help You Lose Weight, Improve Posture and Just Plain Feel Better
Many people believe that it's a lot healthier for you to stand at your desk while you work than to sit down the way that most of us do. For one thing, sitting all day isn't good for your posture or your midsection. If you stand up straight, you'll improve your posture. You'll also increase your metabolism because your body has to work harder to stand up than to sit down. Of course, you don't just want to stand up the entire day; you will need to rest. That's why standing desks are designed to accommodate stools or other healthy seating areas where you can rest when you get tired of standing. It's an ergonomic trend that a lot of people are moving towards in both the office and home office.
Here's a look at ten different standing desks that you might want to think about getting for yourself:
1. Euroflex Standup Mobile Workstation. This is a very simple design that suits a number of different needs. For one thing, it's on wheels and is entirely mobile which means that you can easily use it when you need to use it and tuck it away somewhere else to save space when it's not in use. The fact that it's compact makes it even more convenient in this manner. It doesn't have any specific design features that make it stand out but that's what's great about it; it's a simple standing desk that you could place a tall stool close to for resting when you're too tired to stand.
2. Safco Adjustable Height Workstation. This standing desk is similar in design to the first one that we looked at; it's compact and mobile and it doesn't come with a stool so you'll have to add your own. It's designed to work for people of many different heights and is adjustable in inch-by-inch increments accordingly. People who are looking to try out one of these types of ergonomic desks for the first time can get a good feel for what they are like by trying out a basic design like this one.
3.iGo Desk for iMac. Fans of the iMac will love this little standing desk. It's specifically designed to fit the iMac and to easily hold it into place, hiding all of the cables and whatnot in a convenient way which is an appealing thing to people who are Mac fans. The design of the desk is a bit different from a traditional desk; it's a very modern design that would suit the office or home office décor of a true Mac fan. It's convenient and comfortable.
4. Stand Up Ergo Desk Lifting Platform. This is a cool idea - it's just the top portion of a desk and it's designed to sit on existing platforms. You can purchase a matching platform if you're interested in a somewhat permanent standing desk. However it's designed to be a mobile desktop that could move from the kitchen table to the conference table to a lecture podium, turning every single one of these spaces into a standing desk. What a cool idea!
5. Corner Standing Desk. A more realistic desk option for many home office workers is the corner standing desk. This desk is just like any other corner desk except for the fact that it is elevated so that your computer and workspace are perfectly placed at the right level when you are standing. This type of desk gives you a lot of room to work (and to spread out your papers and projects) but doesn't take up an excessive amount of space in the home office due to the fact that it's well-placed in one corner of the room.
6. Mr. Paine Standing Desk. This is a beautiful wooden desk made of cherry wood and birds eye maple. It has a cool feature about it which is that it tilts up. A tilted surface can be much better for some writing and computer work than a flat surface is. As you can see, there's a tall seat to accompany this desk for use when you no longer feel like standing. There's storage room inside of the desk, albeit perhaps not as much storage room as people are used to with their desks today.
7. Stone Standing Desk. Now that more and more people are starting to take an interest in the ergonomic benefits of the standing desk, we're starting to see a variety of different designs coming out for this type of furniture. You can use all different sorts of materials to make elegant furniture. This particular desk is made from stone. It has some room underneath for storing items but what is really great about it is, of course, the beauty of the stone design.
8. Traditional Desk. It is possible to take a very classic desk design and to alter it so that it rises up higher and becomes a standing desk. People who like the décor of a traditional desk will want to get something like this. Graham Peterson has good examples of these types of standing desks.
9. Antique Standing Desks. Believe it or not it is possible to find very cool antique standing desks that would go great in the home office of someone who loves vintage furniture. One such design is a bamboo desk with under-the-top storage. These pieces aren't easy to find but keep your eye open on auction sites and at local resale stores to see if you can find something that's really unique for your home.
10. Ergonomic Work Station. There are many different ergonomic work station designs. I wanted to point out this one (the last item pictured on the right of this article) because it has such a cool modern design. Drawers come out on either side of the desk, there's a little place for your computer mouse and the material is a combination of different colors. This just goes to show that you can find a standing desk that suits your style no matter what that style might be.