10 tips for easy housekeeping so you can do more creative things
Beat the messy house blues
Don’t have time to clean, who does? We got better things to do.
You can hire someone next year.
10 tips for keeping your nest a happy place while you do creative work.
- Don’t schedule housecleaning as work. A change in attitude can make a big difference. In Spain they call it “doing the Saturday.” It's a Relax Day to do the house and errands.
- Wipe off those speckles on the mirror.. It will do wonders for your morale and impress visitors. Just a damp cloth that's handy will do and then dry with toilet paper. Every few months I'll use vinegar and newspaper the old fashioned way.
- Use those 10 or 15 minute in-between times. You’ll be late if you surf the net or make a phone call, so go around and tidy up.
- Clean the floors every so often. If you have carpets nobody knows how often you vacuum. For years I thought housecleaning was sweeping the floor. Isn't it?
- Wipe that place just behind the toilet seat with tissue paper. Find one of those terrycloth covers for the toilet lid.
- Spot clean the kitchen floor with damp paper towel.
- Wipe off the kitchen counters and stove top. Yes, this is a chore, just make it a habit. Once again people will think you are such a good housekeeper and won’t see beyond that.
- Get some fresh air in the place.
- Keep some order. Go back to the 10 minute tidy up. Being able to find things will do wonders for your peace of mind.
- Get or make a sign that says:
“This house was clean yesterday, too bad you missed it.”
On second thought, don't apologize in any way,
If they notice the place isn't spotless, they'll just recognize the fact that you're too busy producing creative work. Next year you'll hire somebody to help.