15 Must Have Products For Small Home Living
Many of us choose to live in a small home and love it. If your homes square footage is limited there are magnificent ways you can maximize the space you have and keep it clean and organized. Just because you live in a small home doesn't mean that you can't feel great and comfortable in your living space.
Here are 15 genius solutions that every small home dweller should know, you shouldn't have to give up style and function when you live in a small home.
Multi-functional Furniture is a Must!
Sneak in storage wherever you can. People don't even have to see it. Multi-functional furniture can change into a vast variety of functions and uses that will really help you stretch your space. Futons are incredible because they can be used as a couch and a bed. Ottoman's and coffee tables that have storage can hide sheets, sweaters, and books to name a few.
Make the most of your wall space.
Drainers for dishes can take up precious countertop space in a little kitchen. An attractive and space saving wall mount dish rack can do wonders.
Wine racks that are hung on the wall will keep your wine up and out of the way and are very decorative.
As far as things you keep in the entry of your home like mail, keys, pet leashes, etc., go with a coat rack shelf which includes cubbies, and baskets. It's the best way to keep everything organized!
Don't Worry If You Don't Have Room for a Table
When your living room is extremely small opt for an arm rest table.
They are great for organizing magazines, pens, remotes, and so on. The top surface provides a place to put your drink and snacks as well. It's the perfect solution when you don't have room for a side table.
One of the most important things for small home dwellers is a drop-leaf table. If you keep the leaves of the table down you can save important space. Raise them upwards and you will be able to fit more people at your dinner table. These tables are very narrow and leave room for other pieces of furniture.
Clear chairs are also a must have for small homes. They provide an illusion of space.
Make the Most of Your Closet Space
Even people that live in larger homes complain about not having enough closet space.
Hanging a secondary rack in your closet can double your closet space. It's amazing!
When you don't have the space for a dresser, go with a hanging sweater organizer in the closet. It's an awesome place to keep jeans and sweat shirts. It will enable you to squeeze out every single inch of space your closet has.
Many times when you live in a small home you may find that the cabinet under your bathroom or kitchen sink is literally bursting at the seams. In addition that, counter space in the bathroom and kitchen is very limited. An over the faucet shelf is a lifesaver in this situation. It will help you make use of what tiny space these rooms have to offer.
Make sure you put up cabinet or shelves over the toilet or towel rack in your bathroom to store your toiletries.
Hang Storage on Your Doors
Please don't overlook hanging storage on the inside of your drawers.
Hang baskets inside your kitchen and bathroom doors for storing things like foil and cleaning products.
There are many uses for an over the door shoe organizing system.
- Hang one in your office to store craft supplies
- Hang one in your child's bedroom to store toys, clothes, and supplies
- Hang one in your pantry door to store small kitchen items, utensils, and so much more
- Hang one in your bedroom or bathroom closet to store scarves, jewelry, or bathroom must have's
If you add a counter height table either next to or in your tiny kitchen you can triple the use for it. It provides extra counter space, extra storage space, and a place for your family to sit together and have a meal.
Things That Will Happen To You While Living in a Small House!
Many of us have chosen to live in a small home for different reasons. Once you are settled in your small home you may ask yourself . . . . now what? Everybody has different experiences with small home living, here are some things that happen to most of us!
- The fact that you live in a less than average size house will be brought up in conversation.
- People will say that they could never live in a smaller, cottage style house.
- Without the extra space or clutter you will begin to ask yourself bigger questions about your life and its meaning.
- You’ll become way more relaxed and find yourself enjoying the here and now.
- Conversations with other people that live in small homes will seem deeper, richer, and more valuable.
- Your bank account will grow and it will feel great.
- Trying new things won’t be as scary.
- You’ll still feel like you have too much stuff.
- You might just end up leaving your job to start your own thing.
- Living in a small house will feel normal and you might start to feel like your house seems big.
- There will be days you don’t like living in a small home and that’s fine.
- Many days you’ll be grateful!
I hope you enjoyed my hub, I am a huge fan of small home living and love to share my experience with my other's. Feel free to leave any comments!
Other Hubs On Small Home Living You Might Like
- How to Survive and Thrive in Small Home Living
Small Home Decorating at it's Best
- Turning A Shed into a Playroom!
Pretty soon the Winter weather will give way to longer days and Spring breezes. I am big fan of small home living and feel that converting my backyard shed into a playroom for my children was one of the best investments I have ever made. They now...
- Small Home Decorating, Reasons Why I Love Raising My Family in a Small Home!
Living in a small home and loving it.
- How to take the tight squeeze out of small home living!
You've finally moved into your perfect home, the only problem is that you don't have the right amount of space. When I found my perfect home I wasn't sold on it's size being that it was only 1000 square feet. I was sold on the bright cheery effect...