3 Simple Methods to Get Rid Of Flies
Pesky House Fly
3 Easy and Cost Effective Ways To Get Rid Of Flies
Spring and Summer are the best seasons in the year for sitting in your garden or relaxing at home. The Problem here is these seasons are also when the Fly population is at its highest, Depending on where you live they will be everywhere. So if you want to know how to quickly get rid of flies without much effort please read on.
Make Your Own Homemade Fly Trap:
You can quickly make your homemade fly traps with a few simple household materials, Of course you could go out and buy some fly traps but the homemade ones are just as effective when it comes to catching and killing flies.
To make your own fly trap all you need is a plastic bottle, a pair of scissors, some cellotape and of course some bait.
Homemade Fly Trap Steps:
- Take your plastic bottle and scissors you now need to cut off the top of the bottle. You want to aim around 3-4 inches down from the cap of the bottle and begin to cut around the bottle until your bottle is in two parts.
- Your bait can be a host of different things, I recommend apple cider vinegar and dish soap but you can use other baits, The simplest would be sugary water with some food colouring or squash in it. Combine this with a few drops of dish washing soap and add it to the bottom part of your plastic bottle. Note You only want an inch or 2 of your liquid bait.
- Now place the top part of the bottle without the cap on inverted inside the bottom. There should be some room for the flies to enter above your liquid bait.
- Now cellotape the parts together the best you can so its solid again and so that the top won't fall all the way into the liquid.
- Now place this plastic bottle fly trap in an area thats badly affect with flies. Within no time you will start to notice lots of flies caught in the trap. Most drowned in the bait liquid.
Plant Some Potted Herbs To Repel Flies:
Flies have a fantastic sense of smell they can smell a meal from about a mile away. Flies also love the smell of all things decaying or your food. We can use this advantage against the fly because there are certain natural herbs that flies hate the odour of. You can pick up these herbs in pots at your local garden centre or even some supermarkets.
Landscaping in your garden with these herbs or simple having them potted around your doors and windows is enough to make most flies think twice before entering the area. Some of these herbs include:
- Common Rue
- False Indigo
- Bay Leaf
These are just a few herbs/plants that you can get to help you repel flies.
Homemade Fly Spray:
Most commerical Fly sprays are toxic so not ideal for use everywhere your kitchen for example. These fly sprays are effective at getting rid of flies for sure, but I like to make my own homemade fly spray. Its all natural ingredients therefore will not harm anything like some other toxic fly sprays.
- Take a spray bottle and fill it to around 50% with white distilled vinegar
- Add 5-10 big drops of dish washing up soap.
- Shake the mixture together inside the bottle
- Spray directly on the flies
This mixture will kill flies if the any flies survive a hit they normally drop to the floor where you can squash them easy. Keep this Fly spray close to you and you should'nt have a problem taking out any flies that are annoying you.
For more information on getting rid of flies please visit How to get rid of flies, There is plenty of information to show you how to get rid of flies starting with eliminating their breeding areas up to making more homemade fly traps to catch or kill flies.