- Real Estate
How to sell your home quickly in this unsure market.
Selling your home
Whether you are down sizing or going bigger to make room for a growing family, you may need to sell your house at some point. There are a lot of people buying and selling right now, even with the economy as it is. They say it is a buyers market, as more and more people are looking for smaller homes to fit in to the new recession budgets. So when you decide to sell, you need to make your home pop. Price will always matter, but a few ansthetics can really make the new buyers have to have yours.
1. Open up the home. Meaning, get rid of your clutter. Potential home buyers want to see what they are buying, opening up the rooms will let them do so. It will also make your home appear larger and easier for them to visualize living there. It would even be cost effect to get a small storage for some of the items that are not needed, i.e. knickknacks, memerobilla.
2. Paint your walls in lighter, brighter, more nuetral colors. The lighter color will brighten up the room and will make it appear larger. No buyer is going to want to have to repaint over your sense of fashion if this means deep red and gray tones. Although your style and colors may fit your furniture, keep in mind you want it to work with theirs. Anything you can do to lessen the initail work and cost to move in, I believe will push them a step closer to choosing your home. I would also recommend using lighter curtains to opening the room up further and bring in more natural light. You want to create a warm, but nuetral open look to your home.
3. Landscaping property. This can be a very inexpensive way to not only add value to your house, but also set it apart from the rest. If you don' t know anythign about plants, shrubs, etc, you can always go to a local garden center to find help. A little bit of elbow grease and sweat can put your leagues ahead of the competition. This merely goes back to the concept, to give potential buyers less to do. Always stick to your regions plants and find some that need the amount of care you are willing to give. Meaning, if you never want to touch them, find drought tolerant and low care plants. Always try to have color year round in the walkway/entrance to your property. Flowers really do put people in a good mood.
4. Paint the exterior or put up vinyl siding. If you do not have the money to drop in to vinyl siding for your home, I would recommend at least putting a fresh coat of paint on the exterior. Your potential buyers will be paying tens of thousands if not more, they want something that looks good. Vinyl siding route, will add dollar to dollar value to your home, with a clean finished product for your home. Easy to upkeep and an hour with a power washer will bring it back to new.
5. Finish your honey-do's and be informative. You know all those projects you been meaning to finish, well best time to do so is now. No buyer wants to inherit your lazy upkeep. Broken knobs, handles, doors will need to be fixed. If you are inable to do these things, hiring a handy man can be cost effective in the end. When it comes time to close your house, all imperfection will be duly noted an dthe buyers will want a discount. What they feel will be fair, will be more than hiring someone yourself to fix.
Also be informative about your neighborhood. Point out nice parks, venues, restaurants in the area. Also mention school and crime rates, etc. Anything positive to boost your neighborhood to your potential buyers, remember they are not just buying ahouse, but a new way of life.