- Home Improvement
60 Ways To Stay Cool In A Hot Summer Heat Wave
1. Take a shower before and after sleeping. This will cool you down before bed, then wash off the sweat when you wake.
2. Strip your bed. Even a few blankets on the end of the bed, or a wool liner under your sheets can make you hotter at night.
3. Close off your fireplace or flue. Heat can come in this way, so make sure to block it off.
4. Hang out in the bathroom. Surrounded by cool tiles (and water if you want it) this is often the coolest room in the house. Throw a mattress on the floor and read a book.
5. Wear sandals, thongs or go barefoot. Don't heat your feet more than you need to.
6. Fruit filled with ice cream. Scoop out the seeds from a melon then fill with ice cream for a health(ier) cool treat.
7. Eat easily digestible foods. Avoid heavy meats and starches - give your body less work to do so it can work more on keeping you cool!
8. Wear cotton or light material. Avoid wools or heavy clingy fabrics.
9. Read a book in the bath. Or even go do your computer work while sitting in the tub!
10. Go ten pin bowling. Get some exercise and stay cool - most facilities have air conditioning.
11. Drink lots of water and stay hydrated. This one should be a given!
12. Watch a movie about ice. Yes, it will make you feel a little cooler! Check out this list of ice movies.
13. Stick your feet and hands out from the covers. Even if you sleep with a sheet on, sticking your hands and feet out will help cool your body.
14. Visit the local pool. Get the family out of the house, have some fun and stay cool.
15. Visit a water source (or go fishing). Visit the beach, a local dam or somewhere nearby where you're allowed to get a bit wet and there's plenty of shade.
16. Hang in a hammock. With cool air from all sides, this is a great way to keep cool.
17. Take an umbrella. Not just great for rainy days, an umbrella can keep the sun off if you need to go out.
18. Go hot then cold. Spend some time in the hottest part of your house then go somewhere cooler. Trick your body!
19. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. They dehydrate your body, making you feel thirsty, lethargic and decreasing your ability to sweat.
20. Visit a local waterpark. Where's the nearest one? Go down for a visit!
21. Visit a local museum. Not only will you discover something new and get out of the house, they'll usually have air conditioning.
22. Run through a sprinkler. If there aren't any water consumption warnings in your area, a sprinkler can be a great way for kids and adults alike to cool down.
23. Run cold water over your wrists. Interestingly, this can cool your whole body!
24. Make your own slip-n-slide. An old tarp or plastic, some water and a bit of detergent makes this fun!
25. Make home made popsicles (icy poles). Add in some fresh fruit for a delicious treat.
26. Use a foot spa or cold water bucket. Cool down your feet and the rest will follow!
27. Get out the kiddy pool. Everyone can dive in!
28. Nap to conserve energy. During the hotter part of the day, take a nap then stay up and get things done at night when it's cooler.
29. Go somewhere high. The sun's radiation travels through the atmosphere to the ground, where Earth absorbs the heat then emits it back out. Temperatures near the earth's surface are generally the warmest. Do you have a friend who lives on a mountain?
30. Get your hair out of the way. Tie it up, put it in a bun. Keep your neck cool! Or try wetting it, to keep your head cooler!
How Hot Is It Where You Are?
31. Read books about cold places. If you're good at using your imagination, a book about a snow trip is just the ticket!
32. Drink a cup of iced tea. Or have some juice. Check out these cool juice recipes.
33. Wear a mesh hat. Keep your head shaded without getting too sweaty! Oh and having a flap at the back to shade your neck won't hurt either.
34. Freeze your favorite snacks. Yes, really. Throw your crips or favorite food in the fridge to add a cool edge!
35. Freeze your sheets. Fold them, throw them in the freezer for a few hours then make your bed for a lovely cool feeling!
36. Hot and spicy food. A great way to keep cool, as they make you sweat. Make sure you have some bread or milk handy to cool your mouth!
37. Japanese hand fan. They may look a bit silly but they are good for keeping you cool!
38. Nose breathing. Taking ten deep breaths through your nose (yes, that means closing your mouth!) can actually help cool you down. The oxygen works within your body to help lower your temperature.
39. Flour or talcum powder on your bed sheets. Really! When you goto sleep, you won't sweat as much because your body isn't directly on the material of the sheet and any sweat you do excrete will get absorbed by the powder.
40. Wet shirt, cool fan. A great all over way to cool down, just wet your shirt again when it dries.
41. Don't use the dishwasher. Or the stove for that matter! Machines heat up the house.
42. Cold cleaning. When you stop to think about it, most of the cleaning you do around the house involves hot water and steam - not a great way to stay cool in the heat of summer. Use cold cleaners and antibacterials instead!
43. Keep the sunlight out. Shut the curtains and the doors. Sometimes keeping the sun out can cool your house more than letting the breeze in!
44. Stay cool with peppermint. Mint and peppermint have natural properties that help cool your body.
45. Plants some shrubs or trees. A long term solution, but plants that shade your house can help cool it, plus you can have somewhere cool to spend your time when outside.
46. Cold water bottles. Remember the hot water bottles from winter? Fill 'em up with cold water.
47. A cold shower. Well, more than one. And don't dry yourself off too well after it!
48. A fan and wet cloth. Hang a wet cloth over a fan, or one near the stream of an air conditioner to lower the temperature more.
49. Strip off. Yep, who doesn't want a naked day? Or at least a bikini day!
50. Throw open the windows. The ones on the shady side of the house that is!
51. Use white curtains. A great way to reflect heat as opposed to absorbing it.
52. Fluorescent is Cooler Than Incandescent. Change your lightbulbs if you haven't already.
53. Eat cold food and cook outdoors.Or have some cold finger food.
54. Keep your head cool. This will help cool the rest of you.
55. Water balloon fight. Well duh!
56. Drinking water in cold bottles. Fill up some old bottles and store them in the fridge! Or make some more ice...
57. A spray bottle. Cheap at your local store, these are a great way to cool down. Set to mist and get spraying.
58. Wear light colored clothing. And make sure it's loose. Two great ways to cool down if you HAVE to dress.
59. Sit in a shady spot. Hunt around for the one with the best breeze.'
60. A hot drink. Yes! These actually do cool you down!