A Brief Guide to CCTV Cameras
This article shall discuss the various ways in which cctv cameras work and its main features. It is well known that this equipment is an important part of an entire security system for houses, businesses or public places. Its primary work is to capture a motion picture and then send it to a remote computer over a closed circuit so that it is not accessible to the general public. The use of these cameras is not new; the entire world has been enjoying tremendous conveniences and peaceful nights because of it capabilities and features for the past several decades.
The only changes over the years have been in its recording method and its availability. Today all cameras including closed circuit types record pictures in digital format. This format makes it highly convenient for transferring it to different types of storage as well as broadcast media.
As far as availability is concerned, it is now available in all local electronic shops as well as specialized ones that sell only security equipments. The high-level of popularity has also resulted in a fall in price making it affordable by a wide section of society; this was unimaginable a few decades back.
Now, let’s talk about features:
- Some are wireless and some wired. The wireless ones transmit via radio signals and draw power from their own battery. They do not draw power from the power grid of any home or office. The advantage of wireless types is that they are more discreet and thus a lot of pictures can be taken without anyone knowing. It is highly useful to law enforcers and detective agencies. There is a flip side to it though; geeks can hack into wireless feed from a distance. These are useful only for a short term task and not for a long term which leaves them exposed to being hacked into.
- Panning, Zooming, Tilting features of cctv cameras allow a person to follow someone who may be suspected of any illegal activity. These features also help in scanning over a wide area such as a baseball field.
- Dome types are as the name suggests placed inside a transparent hemisphere. This design is intended to prevent people from guessing the direction of the camera.
- The usual image that comes to mind when talking about cctv cameras is of black and white images. However, there are color cameras too but are not often used because it costs more and also because color images take u more space.
- Believe it or not but there are some fake cameras which are actually no functional but give the impression that they are capturing images. The reason behind using them can be very unique depending upon the situation.
Tips for Maintenance of CCTV Security Systems
CCTV is widely in use for surveillance at a number of places all throughout the year. It is often seen in public places such as streets and public buildings like museums and malls. Homes and offices also make use of this wonderful gift of technology to implement and ensure the highest level of safety and security. Now, one thing that is very clear from this is that if the safety of public is dependent to some extent on cctv Security Systems then its maintenance and upkeep must also be equally important.
Any security equipment needs to be in top condition to be effective. Following are some simple but effective tips for keeping cctv Security Systems in good working condition throughout the year:
- This type of equipment is very sensitive to environmental conditions. Hence, the person in charge of its maintenance must also be sensitive to climate changes. The cameras may not perform as well if weather conditions become extreme such as heavy snowfall. Technology has developed and special lenses are manufactured to tackle these problems; nevertheless lenses will need regular cleaning.
- Camera quality needs to be good for capturing clear images. Any low quality equipment will not be useful in capturing perpetrators or in identifying nay potential risks.
- Lenses can be cleaned using a lens solution. This should be applied after blowing away all the dry dust and debris. A cotton cloth may also be used to help in this task. In addition to this a photo lens brush will also help in removing all dust particles from the edges too. It is extremely difficult to clean the edges without a brush.
- The coaxial cable also needs to be looked later to check that connection is secure and there is no interruption in recording. The cable may also be cleaned with cotton swab dabbed with a little amount of distilled alcohol.
- It is important that cctv Security Systems get uninterrupted power supply or there are bound to be security lapses which may prove dangerous on some days when burglars or any other antisocial elements plan an illegal activity.
- Maintenance of such systems also includes its proper placement. If there is any obstacle in direct line with the camera; then it is obvious that quality of surveillance will be impacted. Professionals can come and reinstall in a more appropriate location if it is fond that obstacles are difficult to remove.
How Effective are CCTV?
These may not be very useful in public places where equipment is clearly visible. This is because any criminal will be aware of it and simply avoid those particular spots but continue with their illegal activities where equipment is not installed.
However, the fear of being caught on these cameras is enough to keep such undesired elements away and this is the key role of cctv Security Systems.
Get more useful information home security.