- Real Estate
Avalon Park Florida: What is it Like Living in A Planned Community?
How Would You Rate Avalon Park Florida?
Avalon Park: Orlando, Florida
Located on the east side of Orlando, Florida, Avalon Park offers residents of all ages a modern day Norman Rockwell neighborhood. Avalon Park is a planned community just 40 minutes northeast from Disney, Sea World and Universal Studio Attractions and 40 minutes west from the Atlantic Ocean. Encompassing 1,860 acres of land, 3,000 homes, Avalon Park includes organized villages, single family homes, apartments, townhouses, schools, a town center, restaurants, shops, grocery store, doctor offices, banks, gas station and bars.
By design Avalon Park motivates the foundation for strong families, and strong neighbor relationships. From its aesthetics to its detail architecture, Avalon Park also promotes beauty and diversity as seen by porch swings, garden club, and tree lined streets. Restaurants found in Avalon Park are also diverse they include; Italian, Mexican, Thai, Chinese, American Bistro, coffee shops, subs, hibachi, and ice-cream. From its unique restaurants, schools, shops, landscaping, buildings, and homes, Avalon Park offers intimacy with one's surroundings and more importantly the people in one's neighborhood.
Modern Day Americana
Avalon Park Numbers
- Zip Code 32828
- Zip Code Population 51,342
- Approximately 3,400 single-family units
- 1,431 multi-family units
- 500,000 square feet of commercial space
- 240 acres of wetlands
- 400 acres of upland preserve
- 250 acres of man-made lakes
- Median household income: $63,910
New Urbanism is the term used to describe planned communities like Avalon Park. The term describes communities that encompass the traditional neighborhood design before the mid-20th century. What makes a new urbanism community like Avalon Park unique is the organization and the planning. These neighborhoods enable neighbors to access almost all their needs in one central location. Here is what makes a planned community different than urban sprawl:
- a discernible town center
- most dwellings are within a 5 minute walk or .25 miles
- a range of housing choices to serve diversity that includes, single family homes, town homes, apartments
- diversity of residents include families, young single adults, older people, low income to the wealthy
- elementary schools close enough so most or all children can walk to it
- playgrounds accessible to every dweller
- garages rarely face the street, garages are in the back of the home accessible by alleyways
- streets are narrow or allow for street parking to slow traffic
Avalon Park Florida
Schools in Avalon Park, Florida
Avalon park is a family community and has the schools to support the needs of the families.
- Kids R Kids
- Creative World
3 elementary schools:
- Avalon Elementary
- Stone Lakes Elementary
- Timber Lakes Elementary
1 middle school:
- Avalon Middle School
1 high school:
- Timber Creek High School with Avalon Tech School
1 Technical School
- Avalon Center for Technical Excellence
The University of Central Florida is within 10 miles.
Avalon Schools Rankings, 2011-2012
Florida State Percentile
Avalon Elementary School
39th out of 1943
Stone Lakes Elementary
18th out of 1943
Timber Lakes Elementary
180th out of 1943
Avalon Middle School
180th out of 793
Timber Creek High School
86th out of 597
Downtown Avalon Park
Median House Listing Prices, 2012
Number of Bedrooms
Merchants of Avalon Park Within Walking Distance To Your Home.
- Avalon Park Accounting
- Fairwinds Credit Union
- Premier Tax & Accounting Consultants
- SunTrust Bank
- Trustco Bank
- Wells Fargo
- Avalon Perks
- Avalon Pockets
- Bamboo Wok
- Baryridge Sushi
- Brianto's Original Hoagies
- Davis Bakery & Company
- Eastside Bistro
- Margarita's Grill
- Milano's Pizza
- Mulberry Street Italian Restaurant & Bar
- Pizza Hut
- Thunya Tai
Health and Wellness
- ARC Surgicals
- Avalon Institute of Aesthetic Medicine
- Avalon Park Eye Care
- Avalon Park Family Medicine
- Avalon Veterinary Clinic
- The Confidential Ear
- CVS Pharmacy
- Elite Dentistry
- Family and Women's Health at Avalon Park
- NeuroRestorative Avalon Park
- Orlando Counseling Specialist
- Primera Urgent Care
- Timber Creek Pediatrics
- Women's Healthcare of Orlando
- Avalon Dance
- Cage Fitness
- Championship Martial Arts
- Yoga East
Spa and Beauty
- Avalon All Star Cuts
- Avalon Regis HairMasters
- Central Nails
- Groom Grub Belly Rub
- In Style Hair, Nails & Day Spa
- Nails at the Park
- NY Barber Shop 2
- Avalon Church
- St. Maximilian Kolbe Catholic Church
- Avalon School of Music
- Paladin Tech & Game
- Pottery Pad
- Avalon Liquor
- Avalon Park Cleaners
- Avalon Park Group Management
- Englert, Leite & Martin
- Goodwill Donation Express
- LFG Corp
- MetLife Auto & Home
- SOHO Office
- Suhaag Garden
- The Thompson Agency
- Vision Development & Management
View of Power Plant Leaving Avalon Park
View of Power Plant Inside Avalon Park
Other Insider Information
Prison within 15 miles of Avalon Park.
Prison at the intersection of 528 and Innovation Way.
Waste Water Treatment Facility
Off of Alafaya Trail before Entering Avalon Park. This sewage treatment facility is getting national attention because it is one of the first to take sewage and get rid of it without dumping it in rivers or landfills. They have found a way to generate pollution-free electricity from the sewage.
Beautiful Morning Sunrise In Avalon Park
The Downside of Avalon Park
Energy plant within a mile of Avalon Park.
First of all, it is not a nuclear power plant. It is a coal-fired power station owned and operated by the City of Orlando, Florida. Air sampling has shown that the emissions from this plant are among the lowest of any coal-fired plant in the nation.
As a resident of Avalon park, I have grown accustomed to seeing the power plant. It reminds me of home. I told my daughter the plant is really a cloud maker, since it makes lots of white smoke resembling clouds. The power plant mission and values include being environmentally friendly and safe to live and work in close proximity of the plant.
Some families like a lot of land around their home for privacy and space. In planned communities the goal is to decrease yard size and increase community areas like, parks, town centers and other gathering places. However, in Avalon Park there are many plots of land that directly connect to a conservation area. This gives the homeowner more privacy and a view of water or woods instead of another house on all sides.
Landfill within 10 miles of Avalon Park.
I have never smelled the landfill while living in Avalon Park. If I drive by it on a hot day I will sometimes smell the trash. They tend to the landfill well as seen by burying the trash to keep animals and birds away. The landfill is only seen when you drive by it to get on the 528 or Beach Line.
Homeowner's Association has it's benefits- always making sure the community upholds a standard of aesthetics. However, sometimes the HOA can be peculiar on meager or trivial upgrades to your landscape or home. It can get annoying if you feel the HOA is wrong- sometimes to dispute a notice can be difficult. My family and I choose to abide by the HOA letters. They are often reminders to trim a bush or replant a tree, even though we feel our bush is fine.
On the far, far East side of Orlando
The directions to Avalon park are usually go east on Alafaya Trail, 434, until you fall off the face of the earth and then go some more. Or as my husband would say, "We are the last hair on the dog's tail." However, with recent road developments, getting to and from Avalon Park is easier. The recent opening of Innovation Way now connects Avalon Blvd. with 528 or the Beach Line. Alafaya Trail recently expanded from a two lane street to a four lane street. I work in downtown Orlando, it takes me 30 to 35 minutes to arrive at work. My husband works near Sea World and it takes him about 35 to 45 minutes to arrive at work. The distance from the city is made up in being closer to Cocoa Beach.
Upside to Avalon Park
- Great community
- Green, because everything is so close you can walk or ride your bike
- Family oriented
- Everything you need is within walking distance or within 1 mile
- Schools are in the top 90th percent of the State
- Phenomenal parent-teacher relationships
- Neighborhood churches
- Holiday church services are in the park
- Diverse neighborhood
- You can see the space shuttle from Cape Canaveral lunch from your own porch
- The grocery store, Publix, takes your grocery's to your car and do not accept tips
- 40 minutes away from Cocoa Beach
- 40 minutes away from Disney, Sea World, Universal Studios
- Community pools throughout the neighborhood
- Shop owners know you by name
- Shop owners also live in Avalon Park
- Splash park for children to play in
- Dog park for dogs to run around
- Dog bags and trash cans are on every street
- Warm and friendly neighbors
- Outside tennis and basketball courts
- Baseball fields
- Soccer fields
- Organized Sports
- Quarterly festivals
- Diverse and delicious restaurants
- Chinese food is always ready in 10 minutes
- Excellent medical care
- Monthly outdoor movies in the pavilion
- Publix grocery store
4th of July Fireworks
Avalon Park Festivals
Throughout the calendar year Avalon Park celebrates five major holidays that include:
- Absolutely Avalon (April) Vendor booths for local artisans, food, rides and bounce houses for kids
- Fourth Of July (July) Apple pie and hotdog eating contest, fireworks, live music, food, booths for local artisans, rides and bounce houses for kids
- October Fest (October) Two day festival with root beer and beer gardens, rides and bounce houses for kids, food and booths for local artisans
- Spooktacular (October) Pumpkin carving, trick or treating, costume parade
- Avalon Aglow (December) Santa Claus, sled rides, snow machine that makes a mountain of snow for Florida kids to sled on, food and booths for local artisans, live music, fireworks
During a festival Avalon Park closes the downtown streets so the families can wander and celebrate without worrying about traffic. It is not unusually to run into many friends and families during a festival. They are a lot of fun for the adults, children and a great way to celebrate the holidays with the whole family and community.
My Personal Experience Of Avalon Park
I have lived in Avalon Park for five years now. Honestly, when my husband first told me about the concept of a planned community I turned my head away. As an artist the last place on earth I wanted to live was in a cookie-cutter town. He convinced me to give Avalon Park one year and if I did not like it we could move somewhere else in Orlando.
I have grown to appreciate the style of Avalon Park and no longer see the homes as similar. I see the people instead of the homes. I see the diversity of young families, single young adults going to UCF, and older adults retiring in a town that embraces them.
I have grown to love being in Avalon Park while raising a family. My children's friends are within 2 minute's drive for a playdate. If I am low on sugar, Publix or CVS is just around the corner. I can drop off the dog to be groomed, shop at the jewelry store next to the groomers, walk a little further and attend a yoga class, then go to a cafe for a late morning snack. After that, I can walk to the dry cleaners, walk to my bank, and pick up Pizza Hut for dinner. If I get ill I can make an appointment to see my doctor or go to the Avalon urgent care.
Everything I need is truly at my fingertips. It makes life as a mother so much easier, especially because our extended family are many states away. I do not feel deprived of my extended family in Avalon Park because everyone is so friendly. We are usually invited to Thanksgiving dinners, or Christmas day deserts. On the 4th of July we all gather at the town center for hot dogs, beers, and fireworks. I describe Avalon Park similar to living on a college campus- only this time it is more grand and is for families. After awhile, you become familiar and then known.
The drawbacks to Avalon Park no longer bother me. Every town has it's positives and negatives, for me living in Avalon Park the positives far out way the negatives.
Kind Friendly Dentists
Carly Sullens 2012. All Rights Reserved.