Best Sleeping Bag For Backpacking
How often do you go camping?
3 Rules For Backpackers when choosing a sleeping bag
To choose the best sleeping bag for backpaking you need to follow three general rules:
1. Weight of the sleeping bag
2. Seize of the sleeping bag
3. Comfort level
Weight and Seize
Weight and seize is the most important things when choosing thebest sleeping bag for backpacking.Travelling with the oversized and overweighted sleeping bag might hurt your back and to be honest is not the most comfortable thing to carry on your shoulders. Producers of sleeping bags knows about it very well and that's why lighter sleeping bags are more expensive, of course it's not the only reason why they cost so much, another thing is that the fiber used to produce it cost a lot.
Until recently all the sleeping bags was made out of cotton which was very delicate for your skin but liable for dirt and to big to carry especially when you backpacking. Nowadays producers are using two types of insulation:
- Down - Best thermal efficiency, most compressible, lightest, but expensive
- Synthetic - Much cheaper, but overall has worst performance than down sleeping bags
*Note - some of the zero degree bags offers waterproof shell, but they are more expensive so basically if you're not sleeping on the ice or snow there's no point of buying them.
Choosing a comfort level mostly depends on where are you going.
1. Basically if you're going to Alaska in the winter time is best to use zero degree down bags which provide the most warmth and comfort.
2. On the other hand if you're going to backpack in the summer time is better for you to use also a down bag but with a comfort degree of 15 and above.
Your next question should be: Why the hell they are producing Synthetic Bags if in almost any cases everyone recommend a down bag?
Well this question is partially correct but synthetic bags are produced mostly because everyone buy's it as they are much cheaper than the down one.
Other significant advantages of synthetic bags:
1. More effective when wet
2. Faster dry time
3. Easier care
Basically the best sleeping bag for backpacking depends on few factors:
- How much money you want to spend
- Where are you going
- For how long (Synthetic bags don't soak so easily and they dry faster)
TIPS & TRICKS
- For the winter time choose a longer sleeping bag to have more room for clothing, water etc.
- When cold always use a hat (Head is to only part of the body exposed to the outside weather)
- Keep your bag dry - After few hours of raining even synthetic bags starts to soaking