Cheap and Easy No-Sew Curtains
Curtains are a great way to add finishing touches to a room. However, the cost of curtains can be extremely expensive. Here is a quick, easy way to make curtains without picking up a needle.
What you need:
· Flat Sheet (Twin or full / double will likely work for most areas. For a larger area, two fulls might work better than one large sheet.)
· Curtain rod or shower curtain rod, depending on where you are putting the curtain
· Scissors or a seam ripper
What to do:
1. If these are new sheets (I get mine at Wal-Mart, where they sell individual sheets for $3 for a flat twin sheet or $6 for a flat full sheet), be sure to wash and/or iron the sheets first to rid them of the creases from packaging. I just wash mine (I avoid ironing at all costs), and as long as you don’t leave them in the dryer, it should be fairly smooth.
2. Locate the wide seam that indicates the top of the sheet.
3. Using scissors or a seam ripper, carefully remove the stitches on both sides of that top seam, stopping at the horizontal seam that goes across the sheet.
4. Put the curtain rod through the newly-made openings in the top seam, and spread the curtain across it.
5. Hang up the rod.
For windows and more
These aren't just for windows. I hate closet doors, so I use shower curtain rods that easily mount between the door jambs. This makes an easy way to hide closet items and finish off a room. I’ve also used these to close off open areas, like the entry to the laundry room. It’s not the most beautiful part of the house, but the way my house is designed, it’s open from the kitchen. This way I can close it off when I want to.
Instead of snipping the stitches, you could buy clip-on hooks. Just clip the hooks to the top of the sheets, and then the hooks have loops that you slide over a curtain rod (this won’t work with a shower curtain rod—you’ll want something thinner).
Hemming Curtains Without a Needle
If you find that the curtains are too long, but you don't want to sew a hem, try purchasing iron-on hem tape. In just a matter of moments, you can have neatly-hemmed curtains with no need to worry about keeping stitches straight!
Other No-Sew Projects
- No Sew Fleece Crafts
Doing easy no sew fleece crafts is an easy and fun way to make useful items without any sewing. Because there is no sewing involved it is suitable for anyone, even someone that does not even own a sewing...
- DIY No-Sew Clothes Therapy
Whatever you do, don't throw out those clothes! If you haven't heard of no-sew, then you're going to want to gather up as many old Tees and stained clothes as possible. It takes practice, but once you get...
More By Me
- Organize Your Linen Closet
Theres no need to wait for spring. When it comes to cleaning and organizing your house, theres no time like the present. The January 2011 Good Housekeeping claims the average American spends 55...
- Save Money on Daily Expenses
Times are tight and budgets are tough, but its easy to save money on your daily expenses. All tips wont work for all people, so pick and choose from the tips below based on what works for you and...
- Giving Gifts on a Budget
It's said that it's better to give than to receive, but that pearl of wisdom neglects the common pain of the pinch in your pocketbook for months to come after generous giving. Giving gifts can get...
- Make Money with Your Smart Phone
Earn rewards with Shopkick. Smart phones like the iPhone or Android can get expensive. There are ways, however, to make money on your smart phone. With a bit of time and a couple apps, you can help cover...