Easy Cleaning & Home Tips For A New Dad - Help The New Mamma Since She Has A Newborn Baby!
Trying to help out around the hose more? Wether you have never in your life picked up a scrub brush, or you really just don’t know where to begin, pull up a chair and lets chat about cleaning! I know this topic is about as fun as a root canal, but let’s face it, since your significant other has actually turned into a “baby bakery” for 9 months, odds are you are going to have to pull a little extra weight around the house. Don’t worry, I have a few tips as well as things to avoid.
So your kitchen looks like a pretty solid game of Dr. Mario? (He fights viruses in this classic nintendo game.) You happen to be in good company, mine used too as well. Now we do have a dishwasher, but it always seemed to be full of clean stuff and the sink seemed to always be loaded with dishes. I made a few quick little change in my daily routine which really helped solve this problem.
- I actually get up about 5 minutes earlier in the morning before work and I tend to unload the dishwasher before I leave for work, so there is nothing left in there all day.
- Since there is an empty dishwasher, everything after dinner goes straight into the world’s greatest invention, sometimes right after, it actually gets used during dinner prep.
- At night right before bed, I start the dishwasher, as it isn’t too loud and I sleep like a log. Presto! my sink is clutter free!
- Recently my wife and I purchased a Kurig K-Cup coffee maker. I’m the coffee drinker in the family, but it’s great for iced tea and other hot and cold beverages as well. It seems silly, but since you brew by the cup you simply throw out the self contained coffee grinds, and there is no pot to empty, rinse, and clean out. Only the cup, which you would have had to wash anyway. They can be a bit pricey, but I have found awesome deals at Kohls when they have their special 30% off coupons.
- Whatever, you do DO NOT use regular dish soap in the dishwasher. It NEVER works, and you’ll just wind up with a high mess to clean up when it foams all over your kitchen floor. Bonus though, as your kitchen floor and possibly even your carpet will be spotless after the huge mess you have to clean up!
- Do you have a fancy schmancy fridge with the water and ice in the door? Believe it or not, the first time I tried to clean it up, I couldn’t figure out how to really scrub it without water or ice pouring out of the spout.. Easy solution, open up the door! Most of these models will automatically turn off the water and ice if the door is open. It's much easier to clean that way. Trust me.
- In the bathroom, pickup a bottle of the daily shower cleaner. It easy to spray down your shower while your drip drying, and will save you a ton of elbow grease in the process!
So are you stuck doing laundry as well? I personally hate all the folding and everything that goes along with this process, but I have started to help out more and more, so here are a few ideas:
- I try to never leave a wet load of laundry in the washing machine. I live in Florida and it gets icky and moldy really fast. Anything over an hour and I feel as if I need to wash it all over again.
- As dumb as this may sound (and yes I realize I’m going to have to give up my man card for this), you might want to actually read the manual for your washer and dryer. GASP! I know, men don’t read manuals, but my washer and dryer actually have more buttons to press then the space shuttle, so I had to figure it out some how. The only thing less manly that actually reading the manual is having your wife tell all of her friends she had to show you how to do something. Instead, be the sensitive guy that figured it out on his own..
- Ok so you read the manual right? There is actually something called “High Efficiency” soap. Sounds like BS, but it’s true. The fancy new-fangled washers can only sue certain types of soap. If you have an HE model, don’t even think about using regular soap, or for that matter dish soap.. The same thing will happen as the dishwasher fiasco.
- I personally haven’t ironed clothing in years! If you time it just right, have hangers ready as soon as you empty your nice toasty warm laundry, it keeps them from getting wrinkly.
- Didn’t follow the last tip and now you have wrinkled clothes? Get a spray bottle and just spray some water on a shirt, and quick pop in the dryer for a few minutes. You can also buy dryer steam balls which pretty much do the same thing.
Now that you know how to do all this stuff, as your gal’s pregnancy wears on, there is actually an odd condition that she will probably never experience out side of carrying your child: “Nesting”. This is an extremely rare condition, where the mother actually realizes, the baby is coming and starts to straighten up the nest. From what I’m told, she will actually be scrubbing like a mad woman, so it’s best not to get in her way. It’s actually a biological response, I believe. Don't be a jerk and just sit on the couch and drink beer, but instead ask if there is something you can do to help. Hopefully she’ll ask you to do the dishes, or the laundry, topics we have already covered. Then you can sit back!