Cleaning With CLR
Cleaning a Coffee Pot with CLR
First thing in the morning after letting the dogs outside, I get a pot of coffee brewing. On this particular morning something was not right. My coffee maker was hissing, gurgling, and steaming at me. I had no idea what its problem was other than the fact that it was getting on in years and probably was going to bite the bullet soon. This five year old Cuisinart had seen better days but I hated the thought of putting out money on a new coffee maker right now, and wouldn't you know it; the darn things were on sale a week ago.
An hour after waiting for this pot of coffee to brew my impatient husband who wanted his coffee asked me, when was the last time you cleaned it. It had been about three weeks since I did the vinegar flush and at that time not much of anything came out of the coffee maker. He then suggested that I try using the CLR that was under the sink.
Product that saved the day!
Coffee maker taking too long to brew coffee
Calcium deposits from tap water can clog or block the small tubes and or pipes that are in the coffee pot. This is why it is important if you have hard water to clean the coffee maker and get rid of the calcium and scale build-up.
Normally vinegar will work quite well, however sometimes something stronger such a CLR may be needed.
Cleaning Coffee Pot with Vinegar
view quiz statistics
Scale is accumulated layers of calcium and magnesium that stick to items such as; dishwashers, water heaters, faucets and coffee makers.
There are more minerals present in hard water than in soft water.
Over time the more build-up that occurs can cause your appliance to have to work harder and eventually stop working all together.
When this happens in pipes, sometimes the pipes have to be replaced.
CLR for Other Household Cleaning Jobs
Use in toilet bowls, sinks, and humidifiers to remove lime scales.
Remove rust stains on brick, stucco, porcelain, chrome, and metals.
Removes calcium deposits, not only in coffee pots but from glass decanters, tea pots, and glassware.
Use for cleaning dishwashers and washing machines
Whenever using any household or industrial cleaner please read and follow all instructions.
Procedure when using CLR in a coffee maker
- Mix 1 part CLR to 8 parts cold water.
- Pour this solution into the water reservoir.
- Insert a clean filter or if you are using a filter basket rinse it out well before turning the coffee pot on to brew.
- Run this solution through the coffee maker.
- Once it is done you should be able to see little bits of calcium left in the filter.
- If you've found quite a bit of calcium deposits you may want to run another mixture of water and CLR through the machine.
- Final steps: Rinse the basket filter or replace with a clean paper filter. Fill the coffee carafe with cold water (a full pot) and run it through the brew cycle. Repeat this step four times.
Have you used CLR and do you like it? Please rate accordingly
After cleaning the coffee maker with the CLR I'm happy to say that the coffee is hot and the Cuisinart is working like new.