DIY Bedroom Makeover: Cheap Bedroom Decorating Ideas
Cheap Bedroom Decorating
Bedrooms can be the simplest room in the home to work on and as a result DIY bedroom makeovers are popular. There is no plumbing to worry about, no cabinetry and even furniture is inexpensive when compared to living or even dining rooms.
We will only be looking at inexpensive makeovers here, and that limits the possibilities. A new bedroom set won't generally be considered, unless you can find something at a yard sale or on Craigslist.
Nevertheless, there are still lots of possibilities and chief among them is the idea of a "theme" room; a bedroom decorated around a particular theme. The photo above is of a bedroom that has been designed around the theme of an African safari (additional photos below), for instance, and makes an interesting stay for visiting guests.
The Safari BedroomClick thumbnail to view full-size
Bedroom Makeover Ideas For Adults
The obvious first choice is a new coat of paint; about the most inexpensive thing possible and yet something that can change the look of a bedroom radically. Most people will prefer a light pastel color for a bedroom, but don't limit yourself too far here. An accent wall can add a great deal to the appearance; one wall that is painted in a complimentary color or a different shade of the same basic color. A pastel green room, for instance, might have one wall painted maroon or a much darker green. Trim (baseboard, window and door moldings) might be the same; either painted a darker shade or a complimentary color. Ceilings are commonly white, but off white is also popular.
Take a look installing a new light fixture. A simple task that most homeowners can easily do themselves but that can again change the looks of a room. Although few decorators will advise a ceiling fan, this too can be very nice in a bedroom and provide a gentle breeze during hot summer nights. There are thousands of possible choices for either simple light fixtures or ceiling fans and there has to be something out there that will pique your interest. In addition, a ceiling fan with a light kit that is controlled by a remote means you can turn the light on and off from the bed and that can be a nice added feature for the elderly or disabled.
Cover plates for light switches and outlets also come in a wide variety of designs. Wood, different colors or shapes and stainless steel are commonly available. You might even consider replacing worn outlets or replacing switches that are failing with a different type; both are easy to change out.
If it is within the budget you might consider new flooring. Most bedrooms are not overly large and the cost of new carpet need not be exorbitant. Another possibility for your DIY bedroom makeover might be to install new hardwood flooring; engineered hardwood floors are not difficult to install and are fairly inexpensive.
New draperies and/or bed coverings are another good choice to look at when decorating a bedroom. As the bed is a major piece of furniture in the bedroom a new spread can change the look of the whole room, and the same goes for window treatments.
New wall pictures or paintings may be in order. Few people are interested in hanging a $10,000 painting on a bedroom wall where it will seldom be seen; pictures for a bedroom need not be expensive. Try to match paintings in some way; a collection of Thomas Kincaid prints or a group of forest scenes maybe. Pictures of Victorian towns or homes. Winter scenes. Something to tie them all together. Along with pictures, consider a whole wall mural. These are not expensive, can cover an entire wall with a single scene and can be extremely realistic. One poor lady had taken a picture of her kids on a seashore but could not remember doing it; it had been taken in front of a basement wall mural.
We mentioned theme rooms; here are just a few ideas for your own theme:
- A sea or ocean theme. Decorations from the sea; glass fishing balls, fishing nets on the walls, sea shells, a whimsical stuffed fish, paintings of ocean scenes, colors of blue, green and sand, a coconut tree painted on one wall.
- Victorian theme. Victorian bedding, sheer and lacy window treatments, a Victorian night stand with lamp.
- Forest theme. Painted in woodsy colors of browns and greens, lots of plants either real or plastic, paintings of forest scenes or animals, A ceiling fan with bamboo blades, a wallpaper mural with a forest scene.
- Western theme. Sand colors, pictures of adobe buildings or national parks, an old dried skull on the shelf, cactus plant.
- Travel theme. An Eiffel tower on the dresser, pictures of foreign cities or sights, world maps, a road painted all around the walls leading to different scenes.
Theme room aids from Amazon
Decorating a Child's Bedroom
Doing a makeover for a child's bedroom can be a lot of fun as the possibilities are endless. Try to involve the child where possible (let them pick the color with a little gentle guidance) and do match the room to the child.
Try to think ahead a little; a child's bedroom will always need storage space and this is a good time to provide some. Hooks for clothing, containers for small toys, a place for school work or to display the latest art work - every kid needs storage space in their own room.
This is an area where paint need not take a back seat to anything - let your imagination (and that of the child) roam free! One memorable bedroom was painted in a light yellow but Dad then dipped a small child's feet in bright blue paint and, with Dad's help, the child walked up the wall, across the ceiling and down the opposing wall. Years later any visitor was drug to that bedroom and, with great glee, shown those footprints.
Brighter colors are the name of the game here as children in general love them. Nor should you limit the paint; older dressers can be painted and given a new life. One parent painted an thirty year old dresser in white and metallic blue automotive paint in a beautiful bedroom makeover.
When it comes to ideas for decorating a child's bedroom there are no limits. Themes are especially appropriate for children and here again are just a few:
- Cars theme. Perhaps a car bed for a young boy, pictures of cars on the wall, shelving with matchbox cars or model cars, a "visible engine" on the dresser.
- Princess theme. For a little girl, a canopy bed; this need be nothing more than a wooden framework attached to the ceiling with sheer "draperies" hanging around the bed. Or simple posts attached to head and foot boards, again with a framework at the top. Sheer curtains, perhaps one wall covered in fabric. A wall mural with a castle interior.
- Sports theme. Pictures and large stickers of sporting equipment on the walls, soccer balls or footballs on the dresser. A locker with shelves instead of a dresser. A hockey stick hung on the wall.
- Space theme. A wall mural again with a space scene. Ceiling painted black or dark blue, with dots for stars and perhaps with a constellation or two. Space photos on the walls, printed out from the NASA website. A model of the space shuttle, put together by the child and sitting on a dresser.
- Horse theme. Many little girls love horses, build her a horse theme bedroom. Horses on the walls. Rather than a doll house, a horse barn on the dresser with hay, a fence and a few plastic horses. A small hay bale in the corner.
- Magic theme. Toys and props from Harry Potter - a wand, broomstick, wizards pointed cap. Statues of wizards on the dresser, a spell book, a cauldron, Star stickers on the walls, a stuffed dragon.
Bedroom Makeovers Can Be Fun
None of the ideas here are particularly expensive; the whole idea is cheap bedroom decorating, after all. Of course, if your budget is a little higher a new bedroom set may be order or even some basic remodeling with walls being added or removed.
If not, however, some of these DIY bedroom makeover ideas will hopefully spark your own imagination in coming up with something appropriate for you and your family. Just don't give up too easily; bedroom decorating can be fun, it isn't a lot of work (compared to, say, a kitchen makeover) and will result in something you or your children can enjoy for years.