- Home Decorating
DIY Vinyl Record Room divider
- Vinyl Records to cover the size of desired area (I used 20 in a 4 x 5 pattern ~ about 5 feet wide)
- Binder Clips ( I got two packs of 16, which was more than enough) - See Product Links Below
- Planter Hooks to hang from the Ceiling -See Product Links Below
- Wall anchors - If you have drywall - See Product Links Below
- a Drill - cordless works best
- Paper hole reinforcement stickers ( optional, but makes drilling much easier)- See Product Links Below
- A ruler or straight edge
- Measuring tape
- Pencil or chalk (for marking holes and ceiling placement)
Time: About an hour start to finish
Project in Photos
Hooks and Anchors
Paper Hole Reinforcements
- Start by laying out the records in a pattern on the floor - I did 5 wide by 4 long
- Decide if you want all of the labels facing the same direction or if there are different colors if you want a pattern
- Measure holes in the appropriate places for the clips to go. The Corner edge records will have 2 holes, the center edge records will have 3 holes and the center records will have 4 holes. I marked the holes with the paper hole reinforcement stickers for easy drilling later. Please note: You will need to make sure the holes are at least 1/4" from the outer edge of the record or else the record will break while drilling the holes.
- Drill the holes! We had to drill small holes first and then larger holes because we didn't have a surface we could drill on easily.
- Remove the reinforcement stickers(if used) and insert the binder clips.
- Measure the distance between the top holes from center to center. This will the placement of the planter hooks.
- Measure on the ceiling where you are going to put the hooks, this is tricky and my best advice is to get someone good at math and handy to help you
- Hang and Enjoy!
Notes: I had bad luck with the hooks coming out of the drywall because of the weight of the records, please be careful! Also, You can paint the records or cover them in contact paper as well, I like the vintage look so I did not do this.