DIY Primitive Decorating
Primitive Decorating for Spring.
Here I am again in the middle of winter and miserable. Hibernating like an old bear, opening my door a little to see if I can smell spring. It is hard sometimes after the wonderful decorations of Christmas to not feel like my house is outdated and dreary. I don't have a lot of money to spend so it usually comes down to moving furniture around. My mother often changed her decorating scheme. I didn't realize until I got older that it was to boost her spirits and make the old look new again. There are a few things that I do that might seem a little strange to others.
- Never be afraid to use furniture from other rooms. An armoire from your bedroom can make a great cupboard for quilts to be displayed in your hallway or even in the perfect spot of your gathering room.. Leave the doors open and drape one of your favorite quilts.
- I know this may seem strange, but I bring out my spring flower decorations in February. The bright and hopeful colors of spring put a much needed smile on my face.
- If you have a few great outdoor wicker pieces, add them to your decorating scheme. Add colorful pillows and drape one of your favorite blankets over the back.
- Change your bedding. I know maybe it is too early for that spring floral duvet, but if you have an extra quilt stuffed away bring it out and give your bedroom a fresh new look.
- Another great idea for sprucing up the winter home. Change your curtains. Switch out your kitchen curtains for your dining room curtains. Mix them up especially in a primitive home remember everything doesn't have to match.
- It is okay to bring outdoors in. Use your outside tables if you can. I leave my 6' wooden snowman up all year. If you have a favorite wooden bunny, bring him out and display him. It is okay to mix and match your seasonal decorations.
I hope this has been helpful and inspires you to "think spring".
Decorating with an armoire.
Bring that armoire out of your bedroom and add it to another room. They also look great in a hallway. Leave the doors open and stack your favorite quilts in it. Drape one of the quilts over the opened door.
Decorating with primitive furniture
One of the cheapest ways to change your decorating scheme is to use what you already have. This Americana themed living room can make it through any seasonal decorating.
Decorating with primitive quilts
Quilts aren't just for on your bed. Don't be afraid to display them throughout your home.
This is a beautiful quilt. Remember to lighten up your bedding for Spring. Put that heavy quilt away and bring out your lighter bedding.
Decorating with ladders
Ladders are great to use in decorating for any style. I hang quilts off of an old ladder that was going to be thrown away. You can also hang a ladder over your kitchen island.
Decorating with ladders
- How to Build your own Primitive Bucket Bench
Easy step by step instructions on how to build a primitive bucket bench. I will show you how I taught myself to build my own furniture. It is easier than you think, with just a few tools.