- Home Improvement»
- Fireplace & Hearth Improvements
Frequently Asked Questions About an Electric Corner Fireplace
The Electric Corner Fireplace: Providing Warmth and Charm
Electric fireplaces can help you keep a room warm, add some charm, and more. An electric corner fireplace can be perfect when the space you have available is limited or the money you want to spend on this upgrade is restricted.
On this page you will learn more about the advantages of these units, how you can use them, and find some beautiful models with a design that's sure to enhance the look and feel of your home.
The Advantages and Disadvantages
Electric fireplaces add a lot of ambiance to a room as well as additional heat. For this reason they can be both charming and functional. However, there are a number of attributes about these design pieces that make them even more desirable.
1. An electric fireplace can be added after the fact. If you move into an existing apartment, condo, or home that has no fireplace, these models can easily be added.
2. An electric fireplace generally requires no professional installation. In most instances, minimal assembly is required and the unit merely plugs into a standard wall outlet.
3. They are affordable. These fireplaces don't require masonry or construction. They also don't require the added expense of gas, propane, or even firewood. They are very energy efficient.
4. They are safe. An electric fireplace produces no fumes, smoke, sparks or even odors. They vent heat forward and up and can be set up against a wall with no problem.
5. An electric fireplace is space saving. These units are ideal for small spaces, they sit flush against the wall and have a slim profile. Electric corner fireplaces can be particularly useful since corners are often under utilized anyway.
6. They are flexible. These appliances can easily be relocated to another room or a different area of a room with little effort. If you choose to rearrange things you don't have to work around these fireplaces, they can move as well to suit your needs. In fact, some of the models allow you to convert an electric corner fireplace into a flat wall fireplace within minutes.
7. They are easy to clean. There are no ashes or chimney to clean at any time.
The primary disadvantage to an electric corner fireplace versus most space heaters is merely the cost. While they are rather affordable, they will generally cost several times more than a basic ceramic or infrared heater, thanks to the decorative firebox and mantle.
Putting Your TV On Top of Your Electric Fireplace
Many people would like to place their TV on the mantel top of their new electric fireplace. There are a couple of things to consider before doing this.
1. Will it support the weight? Most manufacturers will indicate the weight that the unit can hold.
2. Will it be secure? You need to be sure the television is secure, this is why wall mounts are often preferred. Some TVs are quite top heavy. You need to be sure that it isn't likely to be bumped into, causing the TV to become unstable and potentially fall.
3. Is there excessive heat? For the safety of the television you also want to be sure that the fireplace won't create excessive heat around it. Measure the temperature at the top of the fireplace (where you would potentially place the TV) after it has been burning for a while. If it's 90 degrees Fahrenheit or more, it's too hot for your televsion.
If it meets all of the above criteria, then it's probably acceptable to place a television on top of the mantel of your electric fireplace.
The cost of these fireplace units varies a great deal, but as mentioned above, they nearly always cost several times the amount of a space heater for a small room. Again, they offer a mantel, embers, logs, and so forth which add to the cost.
Beyond this, the operating cost is determined based on the energy usage of the model you choose and what your energy provider charges for kilowatt usage. This is true of course for any heater. In addition, the energy the fireplace uses will depend on whether you run it on high or low. In general, an electric corner fireplace will run on high at 1,500 watts. As a ballpark, you would spend only a couple of dollars a day to run it for 6-8 hours.
This electric corner fireplace adds warmth to any room and can easily provide supplemental heat for up to 400 sq ft. spaces. It's made of solid wood and veneers with a mahogany finish.
It features glowing logs and a realistic flame and can operate both with and without heat. It comes with a wireless remote control to allow you to regulate it's operation from anywhere in the room. It has a 1350 Watt heater/4600 BTU's per hour. It measures 43" L x 28" W x 40" H.
This fireplace from Jensen is perfect for any corner. It's available in a variety of finishes. It includes the mantel, firebox, screen, grate, stone logs, and lava rocks. It has a realistic flame and crackles for an even more authentic effect.
It operates from a standard outlet at 4600 BTUs per hour. It is made of solid, engineered woods and veneer overlays as well as powder coated steel. It measures 42" W x 42" H x 29" D.
This electric corner fireplace is perfect in cabins, Early American style homes, and more rustic designs. It's constructed of medium density fiberboard (MDF) with solid birch wood accents. It has a 1500 Watt heater/5118 BTUs.
It has 3 controls to adjust amber glow, flame size, and heat. It measures 42" W x 29" D x 42" H and is available with a Gel Fuel firebox insert.
This corner electric fireplace adds a stately elegance to dining rooms, living rooms, master bedrooms, and studies. It has a beautiful mission oak finish, with columns and slate faced captials on each side, crown molding caps, and earth-tone slate surrounding the 23" x 20" firebox.
It is made of poplar, resin, MDF, and slate. It features a 1500 Watt/5000 BTU heater which can heat a 1500 cubic ft area in 24 minutes. It has a thermostat as well as thermal overload protection and comes with a wireless remote that operates off of 2 AAA batteries. This fireplace measures 45.5" W x 26.5" D x 40.25" H.
This fireplace has a high quality mantel made of wood with a medium oak finish with raised panesl and elegant carvings. From Dimplex, it's has with a self triming 26" firebox and measures approximately 36.5" H x 55" W x 21" D. .
It operates with and without heat allowing you to add supplemental heat to spaces up to 400 sq. ft. or to simply enjoy the charming glow of the flame. It comes with an on/off remote control and offers internal light and flame speed control on the unit itself. There's even a thermostat for maintaining a desired temperature.
Dimples also offers the corner electric fireplace shown here. It is perfect for bedrooms and those times when you have limited space available. It measures 24.5" x 39.5" x 40.5". It has a warm oak finish, fluted pilasters, and an arched front panel.
It features a 1,440 Watt/4915 BTU heater, 20" firebox with thermostat and a on/off remote control. It can easily add supplemental heat to spaces up to 400 sq ft. It can operate both with and without heat, allowing you to enjoy the flame only if you wish.
This electric corner fireplace adds clean lines and a masculine feel to any room. It is made of solid wood and powder coated steel. It features detailed dentil molding, faux marble surrounding the firebox, and a curved center panel, with a dark finish.
It has a 4600 BTU heater and has dual heat settings. It comes with a screen kit and remote control. It measures 48" W x 29" D x 42" H.
Bently provides this elegant fireplace. It is made of solid wood, veneer, and MDR with a white finish. It can be used flat on the wall or as a corner fireplace. It features a faux marble trim surrounding the firebox and recessed panels.
It can emit up to 4,600 BTUs per hour and offers dual heat settings (750w and 1500w) and an adjustable flame. You can sit back and enjoy, controlling this unit with the included remote control. It measures 35.25'' H x 40'' W x 11.13'' D.
This unit is a combined entertainment center and electric corner fireplace. It is made of select hardwoods with a beautiful Mahogany finish and hand rubbed waxing laquer. It features brick masonry background and an optical flame.
It offers both manual and remote controls of the flame, lights, and heat. The drop down back allows this unit to be placed flat against the wall or in a corner. It provides 1500 Watt/5115 BTU heat, can plug into any home outlet, and requires no venting. This model measures 15"(W) x 42"(D) x 40"(H)