- Home Decorating»
- Interior Design & Decor
Flaunt it right!
Being an interior designer I have been helping friends and family in doing up their homes with simple and elegant solutions. With an inclination to write, I decided to share a few ideas here as well.
Displaying the collectibles
So you have a hobby of collecting and you have quite a collection of say.....coins, masks, sea shells, spoons, toy cars or whatever suits your whims and fancies. And what better way to brag and boast about it then to flaunt the collection in an eye-catching display. It makes for a great conversation starter too.
There may be various ways you can display your precious collection. Wall display is the most common and it immediately does draw attention. Smaller items like coins, buttons (yes! people do collect various type of buttons), stamps, spoons need a little more thought to be displayed right. Here are a few ways of showing off.
- Seashells, smaller masks, pine cones of various sizes are easy to display on table tops.
- The covers of old classic novels, hand painted tiles, spoons, smaller shells can be safely showcased in glass topped coffee tables.
- Candles either can be grouped together in varying shapes and sizes on table tops or can be clubbed with other display objects like stones or small Buddha figurines etc.
- Crystal can be grouped and displayed on corner tables with a lamp light highlighting the collection.
- Walls with special features like different texture and color are known as "accent walls". These walls are eye-catching and different from the rest of the walls of the house. Mostly either these walls are shown off as such or at times a large and specific piece is displayed with these walls as the background.
- Since walls are the most common choice for a variety of collectibles like paintings, photographs, antiques like collection of swords or knives, dry leaf and flower art, masks, mirrors of different shapes and sizes, decorative plates etc., therefore it is wise to highlight the wall by coloring it or covering it with a wall paper. However, the color of the wall should not overshadow your display.
- When displaying on wall it should always be kept in mind to provide proper lighting. Half the fun is gone when the shadows hide the wall from view. Various types of focus lights enhance the beauty of the display.
- Collection like stamps and keys beside being framed and hung on walls can also be displayed by sandwiching between two thin glass sheets and the glass framed in a form of serving tray.
- Seashells can be filled in empty glass bottle and the bottle can be used as candle stand on the dining table.
- Buttons can be stuck on a hard board to form a frame for pictures.
- Small models of vintage cars or small figurines can also be displayed alongside the coffee-table books in varying heights.
- Wall and table display can be clubbed with similar theme. For example the display of Ganesha idol, the paintings and the hand painted Ganesha pot in the picture above have been displayed together right near the entrance of the house.
So go ahead and make your own rules and flaunt it just right!!