How To Refinish Hardwood Floor For Fast Drying
Damaged Floor Repair And Refinishing
Refinished Shiny and Clean Floor
Fast & Easy Steps To Refinish Floors
This quick guide will take you step by step through the floor refinishing process. Get tricks of the trade from a professional for hardwood, tile, and any other hard surface flooring.
In this article you will learn how to:
- Clean Floors
- Sand Floors
- Stain Floors
- Apply Finish to Floors
Before you begin. Remove all furniture and other items from the room you intend on refinishing.
Check for nails and use pliers or a hammer to repair loose or broken ones. Be sure to open windows and turn on fans for better circulation.
Keep pets, children and any other traffic out of the working area for at least 24hours
After Floor Refinishing
Supplies To Refinish Floors
Here are the supplies you will need to refinish floors. Being fully prepared and equipped will save you time and money.
- Floor Wax
- Scrubbing Pads
- Dust Mop
- Floor Cleaner
- Wet Vac
- Paint Brushes
- Knee Pads ( Optional )
- Putty Knife
Floor Refinishing Books
Clean Floors Before Refinishing
Cleaning floors before refinishing will help give a smooth and glossy finish. Dirt on floors must be removed or it will be trapped beneath the surface of the wax. It's extremely important to clean floors thoroughly prior to apply finishing.
Methods Used To Clean Floors Before Refinishing
- Sweep - get up all debris
- Mop - use a mild or neutral detergent for regular floors. For floors with heavy debris, use a more aggressive cleaning agent such as a degreaser to get rid of dirt and grime.
- Use a wet vac to remove all moisture from the floor in order to speed up the drying process.
Refinish Wood Floors Sander
Sander To Refinish Floors
The sander is used to take a layer of wood off of floors for a fresh surface. This will asure that the floors are completely smooth and ready for finish. There are several types of sanders on the market ( see the side panel ).
How To Sand Floors
- Use a high or low speed to remove a layer of wood
- Use steady purposeful movements with the sander to assure even removal
Repeat the procedure above for cleaning floors after sanding is complete. This will remove all of the dust left behind from the sander.
Hardwood Floor Stain
Floor Stain For Refinishing
Applying stain to floors will give it color and depth. Stain takes awhile to dry so be mindful of that. Several applications will slow down drying time. There's a huge selection of colors for staining hardwood floors. See some in the side panel.
How To Apply Stain To Hardwood Floors
- Using a paint brush apply stain with even and neat strokes
- Allow stain to dry between applications.
- Use a fan or blower to speed up the process
- Reapply more stain for a darker more rich color
Floor Finishes or Wax
Refinish Floors - Finishes and Floor Waxes
In order to protect floors a finish or wax is used. A good one will make floors last for years. Be sure that you have a budget in mind when you consider the longterm cost of choosing a least then lasting finish. This may cost you in the long run.
- Starting with the perimeter of the room, begin applying finish to corners and edges. Be neat and clean up any stain that touches baseboards.
- Allow each application to dry completely before adding another layer.
*Apply several layers for a super high gloss and long lasting finish
Key Steps To Beautiful Floors
- Make sure the floor is clean and dry before begining
- Apply even coats of stain and finish
- Allow each application to dry
- Refrain from walking or putting furniture on the floor for at least 24 hours.
Floor Refinishing Resources
- Restoring and Maintaining Antique Heart Pine Floors
Heart pine is the wood from old growth trees. Most of it was long leaf pine. Old growth trees are estimated to have been 300 years old in the late 1800's/early 1900's. They are defined as
- How to Refinish Floors - Step-by-step Illustrated Gu...
If your wood floor is looking worn and in need of repair and refinishing, you can do it yourself much less expensively than hiring it done. As long as you understand the process and the tools used you can successfully refinsh your wood floor and incr
- How to choose the best floor refinishing method for ...
With so many options, it is no wonder that you, as a homeowner, have to sift through all the choices as far as choosing the best floor refinishing methods. For example, should you do it yourself or hire a...
- Hardwood Floor Refinish - Cherry Hardwood Flooring -...
Unfinished hardwood flooring lets you finish woodwork beyond an engineered wood floor. Refinishing hardwood floors with shellac, lacquer, varnish or oil. Deciding how to refinish hardwood floors allows for cherry hardwood flooring, walnut hardwood fl
- Hardwood Floor Refinishing Basics
Hardwood floor refinishing is not something that you can take very lightly. It is a large project and one that is going to take quite a bit of patience on your part if you are going to do it yourself. ...
- Hardwood Floor Refinishing Quick Guide
Anyone who has ever taken on a hardwood floor refinishing job can tell you that it is no easy task. There is a lot of time and sweat that must be devoted to the job! Because of the difficulty of this type of...
- Hardwood Floor Refinishing Guide
You might be tired of seeing your hardwood floors looking damaged and dull after years of regular wear and tear. So, you take action by wanting to begin a hardwood floor refinishing project - taking whatever...