Fun and Creative Ways to Decorate Your College Dorm!
Is your college dorm looking drab and just plain old boring? Well if it is, then here are some interesting ideas on how to decorate it. A lot of these ideas I have used in my own dorm or my friends have used them in their dorms, which have turned our drab rooms into a place like home. There are many different ways that you can decorate your room so I'm just going to name a few ideas that I have used. You can come up with your own ideas or take mine and modify them to fit your interests. Just remember to be creative and be yourself! And don't forget to have fun with it!
Posters are a great way to decorate your room! You can find posters with almost anything on them. In my room I chose to put up posters of the bands that I love to listen to. Here are some other ideas on what kinds of posters you could use.
- Find inspirational posters that keep you happy and motivated throughout your college years. They can be quotes by famous people or even quotes or inspirational thoughts about your major. Use anything that inspires you!
- Find posters with cooky and crazy characters on them. Anything to make your room bright and happy. If you're not into bright and happy, you could find posters of dark and evil characters.
- Make your own posters. Buy some poster board and draw/paint whatever you like on them. Add glitter or anything you want to make it pop!
- Posters of your favorite celebrities are a great addition to your room! My roommate had a poster of Orlando Bloom which definitely added some sexiness to our room. I chose to put up a poster of Bo Burnham, a young comedian.
- If you like sports then find a poster of your favorite athlete or even your favorite team. Hopefully your roommate won't be a fan of your rivals!
- Another idea would be to find posters of your favorite tv shows and movies! Bring the cinema into your dorm room!
Another great idea to decorate your room would be to use pictures of your friends and family. Use pictures that help you remember those fun times you had with them and maybe this will help you from getting too homesick. You can simply tape or pin up your pictures or you can do something creative with them. Here are some ideas.
- You could make scrapbook pages for some of your photos giving them bright and fun backgrounds. Add whatever you like to the page to make it personal and fun! You can literally make your pictures pop off the page. Then you can take the pages that you create and stick them up on the wall. (a good way to do that would be to use 3M strips)
- Take a piece of poster board and make a collage of your photos. This way you can keep them all together and don't have to worry about losing any of those precious memories. You can make as many as you would like and put them up all around your room! Another idea would be to add other pics that you didn't take that show your interest and help tell a story.
- You could even take your photos and put them up in a crazy shape. You could put them up in the shape of a heart, a butterfly, a circle, and even letters and words. Any shape that you would like!
Day by Day Calendar
Here's a cute little idea that my former roommate and I came up with. She had this day by day calendar which had pictures of places all around the world for each day. As the day passed you pulled off that day to reveal the next day. Now for the longest time she was just throwing them away which was a shame because the pictures were so beautiful. That's when I came up with the idea to put them up on the walls. Each day we pulled off the page and taped it up around the room. By the end of the semester almost half the room was covered with these pictures. You can find these calendar with pictures of almost anything you would like. It's a good way to show how the semester is progressing as well.
Decorate Your Door
By decorating the outside of your door you are showing your fellow dorm-mates your personality. You can decorate it with anything you would like. I personally put pictures that my roommate and I have colored in. You can find a coloring page of pretty much anything on the internet these days. You can change your door as often or as little as you would like. Mixing it up is a good way to keep people looking! Some dorms even have contests on the coolest decorated door so have fun with it!
When it comes to the holidays it is always fun to decorate your room to match. My favorite holiday to decorate for is Halloween! Last year we decorated our door to look as though there was blood all over it. It said keep out! We also had two skeletons hanging from the top of the doorway with each of our names above them. We finished it off with a doorbell that made a creepy laugh when you pressed the button. The number on the sign was 669 and when someone rang the bell it changed into 666! Pretty creepy right? We got lots of comments on our decorations.
When it comes to Christmas time people generally go all out. They put up small trees with ornaments and put up Christmas light on their doors and windows. Some people even go the extra mile and buy that fake snow to put on the windows. A cheap way to decorate your room would be to print out pictures from the internet and post them around the room. If you want you can make a night out of it and print out pictures to color with your roommate.
How about adding a little bit more light to your room? You can use twinkle lights or x-mas lights to add some mood lighting or to just put a little bit of life in your room. They are really cheap and pretty easy to put up. All you really need are small hooks which 3M has some clear ones that you will never notice. Most people put them around the window or their door. I think it would be cute to maybe use icicle lights across the wall. You could even use different colored lights to spice things up.
You could also use paper lanterns! Some dorms do not allow you to hang things from the ceiling for safety reasons so make sure you are allowed to do this. They come in all sorts of colors and are pretty inexpensive as well. You don't even have to use them as a lighting fixture. They do well on their own.
Don't stop there!!! Add some of your own personal artwork. Even if you can't draw or you aren't good at crafts you can get silly with it! If you make artwork with your friends, it doesn't matter how bad your artistic skills are. As long as you had fun creating them you will have a happy memory every time you look at it.
Remember, it is YOUR room! Be as creative as you want and have fun with it! You're the one who has to live in that room for a year so make sure you are comfortable! Do anything you want to make your dorm feel like a home of your own. Good Luck in college!!!