The Tools shed
The garden tool shed is generally,in the small garden.also the potting-shed,and it is the starting-point of all garden operation.It is wise,therefore,to give it due consideration when the house is designed,or when it is first taken over;for a well-planned tools shed and potting-shed make all the garden work easier.For a one-man garden-shed need to be robbed of too much space.A structure 6 ft X 10 ft ought to be sufficient,and an even smaller shed can be made to serve.The essentials for ease of work are these:-
- Two racks for tools,one 6 ft from ground to hold the larger tools,and one about 3 ft from the ground to take the smaller tools,such as trowels,hand forks etc.
- A shelf or small cupboard for catalogs and garden reference books
- A shelf or part of the same cupboard for tools,such as syringes,that cannot be stored on the racks.
- A cupboard or set of small drawers to take seeds.
- A potting-bench.This,if possible,should be immediately under a good window.In height it should be about 3 ft from ground.
Space under the potting-bunch is useful for such things as flower-pots and soil.