Great Vines that Grow in Alabama
Let me just start by saying I LOVE PERENNIALS. Therefore, pretty much everything and anything listed will be a perennial! Unless it is simply so gorgeous I would be willing to buy the seed and start over every year!
Creeping Charlie or Creeping Jenny
Creeping Charlie is a lovely perennial vine.
- Needs partial sun to full sun.
- Green leaves and blooms yellow.
- Can be used in a container, for yard spread or even a rock garden.
- It is North American native.
- Has a fragrant flower and is good for naturalizing.
- Blooms during the summer months.
As beautiful as Wisteria may be, it IS a vine that you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to maintain. It grows very quickly and if you do not keep it cut back in its own designated areait can and will tear down a building, that's more than likely going to mean your house.
- Has fragrant flowers.
- Attracts butterflies
- Is drought tolerant.
- It requires partial to full sun.
- Grows very fast.
- Can be either blue, purple or white.
Hydrangeas are very pretty flowers that come in a few different colors; pink, white, blue, and a shade of purple.
- Hydrangeas have anaverage growing rate.
- They like full shade and partial sun.
- They bloom in Spring.
- You can use them to cover a trellis or an arbor.
- It is a fragrant plant.
This is more of a shrub vine, does that make sense?
- This plant needs full sun and a moist environment. Great for Alabama, right? It's always humid here.
- They can bloom orange, pink and yellow.
- Can be used as a border or hedge.
- It is both pest and bought tolerant.
- Can bloom in Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.
- This is a fragrant climber that can be used as your typical vine or as ground cover.
- Can live in full sun or full shade! How convenient.
- Have a yellow bloom and green leaves.
- Jasmine is pest tolerant, good for naturalizing, and drought tolerant.
- Can be used for erosion control, cascades, and massing.
- The growth rate for this plant is pretty fast.
- Clematis is a Perennial Vine.
- Likes partial sun to full sun.
- Blooms pink with green leaves.
- Blooms from mid to late summer.
- Grows at an average rate.
- Can be used in the landscape for an arbor or in a container.
- The flowers are fragrant, drought tolerant, and are good for contains.