Green Cleaning: Ways to Clean Your Home Without Chemicals
The Importance of Chemical Free Green Cleaning
Green cleaning is important for you and your family because over the years we have come to realize that you do not need harsh chemicals to maintain a clean and germ free home. Harsh chemical cleaning products will in fact kill germs and bacteria in your home, but at what cost? You and your family's health?
People are becoming more aware of their health status. As a result, more and more people are striving to take hold of their own health and their future. This is why more and more people every day are turning to green cleaning.
Not only is green cleaning great for you, your family and even your pets. It is also better for the environment. So, if you and your families health as well has the health of the planet we live on is important to you. Continue reading and find out what you can do!
Why Practice Green Cleaning? The Facts
- The air inside your home can be as much as two to five times more contaminated than the air outside your home.
- Green cleaning can reduce the effects of allergies.
- Green cleaning can reduce the effects of asthma. Childhood asthma has almost doubled in the past 20 years!
- Protecting the ozone layer. Many home cleaners release toxins that can hurt the ozone layer.
- Lessening the chances of children and/or pets become poisoned by home cleaning chemicals.
- Chemical cleaning products can be corrosive, flammable, poisonous, and harmful to the lungs.
Easy Homemade Natural Green Cleaning Products
You do not have to purchase expensive green cleaning products from the store. In fact, you can make your own green cleaning products with many ingredients you already found in your home. Here is how!
- Window Cleaner - One part white vinegar, and one part water.
- Stain Remover- 1 cup water, 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 cup baking soda.
- Drain Cleaner- Add 1/2 of baking soda to your clogged drain. Then pour in 1 cup of white vinegar. Allow to fizz for 20 mins and rinse with hot water.
- Floor Cleaner- Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar to 1 gallon of water. If you like scented cleaners simply add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for that freshly cleaned smell.
- Mold and Mildew Remover- 1/2 cup of borax (a natural mineral) and 1/2 of white vinegar. This will make a paste. Apply paste to affected area and scrub with a brush. You may find it effective to allow paste to sit for 20 mins or so on the affected area.
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner- 1/4 cup of borax and 1 cup of white vinegar. Allow to sit in your toilet bowl for 20 minutes or more then scrub clean.
- Wood Polish- Use the juice of half of a lemon, leaving out the pulp and the seeds. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil, and 1 tbsp of water. Mix and apply to wood with a cloth or rag.
- Air Freshener- Fragrant herbs can be placed around the house as a safe air freshening alternative.
Tea Tree Oil
What's In These Ingredients?
So now that you know some recipes for a clean, green home. You may be wondering what is it that makes these recipes work? Is my home really clean?
- Baking Soda- This ingredient is a deodorizer, water softener and an abrasive cleaner.
- White Vinegar- Vinegar is mildly acidic allowing it to break down substances such a grim, dirt, grease, mildew and wax. While also killing germs and bacteria.
- Lemon- Lemon is not only just a great scent but it's acidity also makes lemon a great cleaning product breaking up dirt, grime and killing bacteria.
- Borax- Also known as sodium borate, cleans, deodorizes and disinfects.
The Essential Oils
Essential oils make great cleaning products and usually smell great too.
- Tea Tree Oil- Although, many people do not enjoy the smell of tea tree oil. It does a great job cleaning the home. It has antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties.
- Lavender Oil- This oil has calming effects as well as antiseptic, antiviral, bactericidal, and fungicidal properties.
- Pine Oil- A refreshing scent to make any home smell fresh pine oil also has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.
- Eucalyptus Oil- This oil has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic properties.
- Oregano Oil- This oil has antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiseptic properties. This scent is great for cleaning the kitchen.
- Peppermint Oil- This oil has antiseptic proprieties. It also makes the body feel revitalized and alert.
- Grapefruit Oil- This oil has disinfectant properties and the scent can keep the body alert.