Home Robots - Investing in Robots
Robot Lawn Mower
BP Undersea Robot
What’s a Robot anyway? A robot is an automatically guided machine which is able to do tasks on its own.
Technology is advancing and the use of robots are on the increase in various parts of the World:
- For boring house work. Example: Hoovering or even lawn mowing. These can be quite monotonous.
- Helping the elderly. Example In Japan, there are increasing numbers of elderly people to care for, but fewer young people to care for them.Even though Humans make the best carers, they will have to make do with Robots, which are gradually being introduced.
- Also, Marines can use telerobots to detonate buried explosive devices.
- Space Robots - such devices are deployed in space or on planetary surfaces to emulate human manipulation capabilities.
- Inaccessible Tasks – e.g With the BP oil situation. Only recently July 2010, Undersea Robots were used to replace the Cap over the gushing BP oil well.
- Robots used for Surgery - Medical Robots are now used in various surgeries. E,g Heart surgery, keyhole surgery etc. In UK, there is The 'Da Vinci Robot' which is mainly used to carry out prostatectomies (removal of all or part of the prostate), tumour removals, gastro and neurological operations. Its robotic arms rotate 360 degrees allowing surgeons more precision than they would have using their own hands. Robot used in Heart Surgery
Da Vinci Robot
Me? I’m not asking for much. I just want a Robot to do the following.
- Hoover the house – once a week.
- Iron without setting the smoke alarm off.
- I’ll deal with the dishes incase it breaks one a day, but it would be nice if it could take the refuse out daily.
- I would ask it to do my hair but it might mistakenly give me a knock on the head, so pass on that.
- Cook food, especially when I have friends round. All we need to say is the name of the Dish. E.g “Fish and Chips” and it would be ready in under an hour.
- Drive me to work? I’m giving that second thoughts – incase we end up getting a speeding ticket every day.
So, that’s my short list. How about you, would you like the “luxury” of having a Robot?