Homemade Laundry Soap Reicpe
I live on a very small income and it's a hardship having to buy cleaning products, especially laundry soap. I recently came across this homemade laundry soap recipe and it comes out to a penny a load. I was expecting poor results but was very pleased to discover it does an excellent job cleaning my laundry and it's so easy to make you'll be surprised.
- 1 bar Fels Naptha® or your favorite bar of bath soap, grated with cheese grater
- 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda®
- 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax Powder®
- 6 cups water, for pot
- 1 1/2 gallons + 6 cups hot water, for bucket
- 5-gallon size bucket to hold laundry soap
- 10 drops favorite essential oil, optional for scent
- 1/2 cup oxyclean (powder or liquid), optional for extra stain fighting and whitening
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
More on ingredients
Fels Naptha is a bar of soap for the specific use in laundry and stain fighting. It is sometimes difficult to see on the shelf as most stores do not stock a lot of it. You may have to ask.
Arm & Hammer Washing Powder can also be difficult to find, although with more and more people seeking it for homemade laundry soap it may begin to build in stock. * Do not confuse it with any other Arm & Hammer product, soda, soap, or detergent. It is washing powder.
20 Mule Team Borax comes in a box and is commonly found in most laundry sections.
- Grate the bar of soap with a typical cheese grater.
- Heat 6 cups of water in a pot and add grated bar soap. Stir until soap is dissolved.
- Add the cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda® and stir.
- Add the Borax powder and stir until all ingredients have dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Put 6 cups of hot water in 5-gallon bucket.
- Add soap solution.
- Add another 1 1/2 gallons of hot water.
- If you are using an essential oil and /or oxyclean, add now.
- Let sit over night. It will turn into a gel.
- For regular loads, use 1/4 cup of laundry soap. Wash on any setting.
- To make your sparkly, clean laundry extra fresh, hang out on the line in the fresh air and sunshine.