- Eliminating Pests
How Do I Keep Roaches Out Of My House
American Cock Roach Information You May Not Know.
The American Cockroach is also known as the water bug. Despite being called American Cockroaches they did not originate here in the United States. They came from Africa most likely on ships in the early 1600's.
They are now quite common all throughout North and South America and Florida even has a very large species of Cockroach known as the Palmetto Bug.
The average American Cockroach is about 1.6 inches long with wings and is reddish brown in color. They have a bit of yellow on the backs of their necks. Juvenile cockroaches look like adult cockroaches except they have no wings. The American Cockroach is a very active night insect that shuns light. Yes the cockroaches in a room will run away and hide if you turn on the light. And yes American cockroaches are very fast able to run up to three and a half miles an hour or about 50 body lengths a second. So yes they are very fast. That's like a human running two hundred miles a hour.
Fun with a Palmetto Bug. You just have to watch this video and listen to the guy in it.
Hate Those Cockroaches In The House?
I bet you do want to rid your home of roaches unless you are like the guy in the video above playing with the Palmetto Bug. If you have not yet watched that video watch it now. Funny as hell.
One of the main ways to make sure your home stays cockroach free is to keep your home extremely clean. If you will deny the cockroaches in your house any access to food or water you will eventually win the battle. If you live in an apartment and your neighbors have cockroaches you may find it much harder to rid your apartment of cockroaches. But it can still be done.
If your friends with your neighbors tell them about your battle with the cockroaches and show them this Hub Page on how to keep roaches out of your house. If all of you will follow the suggestions on this Hub Page you can rid your home of cockroaches.
If roaches are denied a food and water source and you use the borax you will rid your home or apartment of all the cockroaches in it. But you must keep up your efforts and if you find your home free of cockroaches repeat all the tips on this page if cockroaches ever invade your home again.
Roaches Can Be Kept Out Of Your House.
If your looking for an effective way to get rid of roaches you are in the right place. As you may already know borax is an effective tool for getting rid of cockroaches. You just want to read on so that you'll be sure your using your borax the most effective way. The ultimate goal of any home owner with roaches is to get rid of the roaches.
Borax Acid really is an effective way to get rid of cockroaches. Are you interested in getting the cockroaches out of your house? On this Hub Page your going to discover all kinds of ways to get rid of cockroaches and keep them out of your house. And you will find out that there are several ways to get rid of cockroaches and keep them out of your house.
In case you don't know roaches will eat almost anything including wallpaper paste so its very important that you clean your house sparkling clean. Any food particles left laying around or under your refrigerator or stove will feed the roach and all its family. You need to slide the stove and refrigerator out and clean under them very well. Be sure you clean the sides and back of both the refrigerator and stove. You need to look for any place that food may have dropped or rolled. Every food item stored in a container in your kitchen must be covered and the outsides of any food container or canister must be kept clean.
As I said roaches will eat almost anything so be sure all your spices have lids tightly closed so the roaches won't be provided with a meal. Buy a soap dish that has a lid to keep any bar soap in. Don't let clothing pile up. Keep your washing done because roaches love dirty clothes.
Some Other Places You May Need To Check And Clean Are.
1. All indoor trash cans must have tight fitting lids and you want to be sure to keep your trash cans very clean on the outside and you need to clean them thoroughly inside and out at least twice weekly. Get your whole family in the habit of washing out any beverage bottles or cans before they throw them in the trash. Now is a great time to start saving all your families aluminum cans. Buy one of the small wall mounted can crushers and mount it outside on the back porch or in that general area. Buy a large plastic trash can with a tight fitting lid to keep the cans in outside. When you fill up the plastic trash can you can pour the crushed cans out into large 55 gallon leaf bags and store your bags of crushed cans outside.
2. Vacuum out all the cracks you can reach down into in your couches and chairs all through out the house. Do this at least twice weekly and if there are deep cracks squirt some of the twenty mule train borax laundry detergent down into each of the cracks. You need a bottle with soft sides like a ketchup dispenser to squirt your borax from.
3. You will want to walk all through your house and remove the outlet covers and squirt a little borax in to the cavity behind each outlet cover. Do it all the bottoms so it will go down in the hole behind the outlets and then as you squirt some of the borax in each outlet box replace the outlet covers.
4. Keep any sugar packs or similar condiments in plastic containers with tight fitting lids. Be sure that your sugar container has a very tight fitting lid and keep the outside of the container very clean. Even a few grains of sugar will feed a lot of roaches. Be sure that all kitchen counters are kept very clean.
5. You should squirt your borax powder in the back of all your cabinets. If you have cabinets that the bottoms come up in spray your borax powder under the cabinets. Using borax powder is by far the most effective ways a home owner can get rid of roaches.
Pest Control : How to Keep Cockroaches Out of the House
Use 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Detergent To Get Rid Of Roaches In Your House.
20 Mule Team Borax will work perfect to get all the roaches out of your house and it's a lot cheaper than the regular borax powder. You will want to start by cleaning your house or apartment very clean. Be sure you roll the stove and the refrigerator out and clean very well under them. Before you roll the refrigerator or stove back in place lay down a thin layer of the 20 Mule Team Borax. Just put down as wide a layer as the stove or refrigerator will cover.
If you have a washer and dryer you will want to do the same. Clean under them very well and also be sure to do the sides and backs of both the washer and dryer. Be sure that your washer hoses are tightened very well so that no water is dripping. Roaches need water and you need to keep the roaches from getting any by making sure you have no water leaks anywhere. Be sure to check at your hot water heater and under all sinks.
If you have pets be sure that any pet food of any type is stored in large plastic containers with lids. Any dog or cat food that has been opened must be kept in tightly closed containers. If you feed and water your pets like cats or dogs inside feed and water the pets and then pour any dog or cat food not eaten back into the container and wash and dry the food dish or dishes. Wash and dry the water container after your pet is through to prevent the roaches from getting to a source of water. Its possible to rid your house of roaches with out spraying pesticides or having pesticides sprayed in your home. It does take a lot more effort but it can be done. I will tell you that there are a lot more roaches in your home than what you are seeing. For every roach you see there is probably one hundred you don't see.
It is very important to keep in mind that to rid your home of roaches you must deny the roaches any access to food and water. If you can do this and use the borax powder you will eventually win your war with the roaches. You will also need to wash your dishes as soon as they are used. Don't just rinse them off and put them in the dishwasher. Run the dishwasher every night before you go to bed. And be sure to squirt the borax powder in the cracks under the dishwasher.
Imagine how you feel about the roaches running around in your house right now and think about how you will feel when all the cockroaches are gone. Because you can rid your house of roaches if you will stick to it and follow the simple tips here on this Hub Page to rid your home of roaches.If you have a small baby in your home be very careful what you do with dirty diapers , sip cups, bottles, drinking cups, and baby food containers. The used diapers must go in a tightly covered trash can and sip cups, bottles and drinking cups can not be allowed to be setting around when not in use. Any baby food or cereal that is open must be stored in a container with a tight fitting lid. You must deny any food or water source to the roaches.
Be sure that you mark any container containing borax on it with a permanent marker so every one will know what it is and store your borax where kids and pets won't have access to it.
Thank you for reading my Hub Page on, How Do I Keep Roaches Out Of My Home. I hope you will post your comments or questions now and thanks for reading.