How To Make The Best Homemade Laundry Detergent Easy & Without Toxic Chemicals
Homemade Laundry Detergent Rating
Homemade Laundry Detergent Can Save You Money
Homemade laundry detergent can save you a lot of money. All of the ingredients are cheap. At the time of this article you can buy Ivory soap for $3.99 or even less for a 10 pack. Ivory original is 99.44% pure too so it's safe for your skin unlike so many other bar soaps out there that are loaded with toxic chemicals. Borax(20 Mule Team is the best) you can find for just about $6 or so at Walmart for a 72 once box. I can't remember the exact price but it can last you for months! A 55oz Arm & Hammer washing soda box cost just over $3 at Walmart and will also last you many months! This recipe should cost you less than half of what you would spend on commercial detergent and this is non-toxic!
Commercial detergents are mostly toxic! They don't even have to put some of them on the list of ingredients. Many contain harmful chemicals like
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)/sodium laureth sulfate (SLES),
- NPE (nonylphenol ethoxylate)
16,000 studies have documented that dangers of Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)/sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), There are also many other dangerous chemicals found in laundry detergents that can harm you, your family and the water of the whole community. That's why it is important that you make your own all natural Laundry detergent. There are also many dangerous chemicals found in toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant and many other items you probably use. It's best to make your own natural homemade toothpaste, homemade mouthwash, homemade body wash, shampoo, face wash & conditioner All-in-One and as many homemade products as you can. You can’t trust these corporations owned by people you do not even know. Coconut oil has many uses for homemade products; it's especially good in toothpaste. You can find a list of coconut oil uses here.
Photo of Homemade Laundry Detergent
Ivory Original Bar Soap
- 2 Bars Natural Bar Soap like Ivory Original or Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap, Ivory brand will save you a lot of money. You can find it in most grocery stores
- 3 Cups Borax, You can find it in most grocery stores
- 3 Cups Washing Soda, You can find it in most grocery stores
- 1 Plastic or glass container or jar, Container must be big enough to hold at least 10 cups so you can shake up the mix
Buy Washing Soda Here
- Grate the 2 bars of soap with a cheese grater.
- Dump the grated bar soap into the container for your homemade laundry detergent.
- Measure 3 cups of Borax and 3 cups of washing soda and dump them into the container together with the grated soap.
- Seal the container and shake up the mix very well and then you are done. It's as simple as that to make your own homemade laundry detergent. You can also use a blender or food processor to mix the ingredients instead of using a cheese grated. This will make the mix finer and easier to dissolve even in cold water.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Direction For Use
- Heat up 1 cup of water in the microwave for about 1 and half minutes.
- Then for a full load of laundry take 1/8 cup - 1/4 cup of homemade laundry detergent and pour it into the cup of hot water. I use 1/4 cup but some might like to use less and save more money!
- Mix the homemade soap into the water with a fork.
- Pour the water into the washing machine with it on and wait for some of the washing machine to fill up before adding the clothes. Otherwise you might see a soap residue on your clothes just like with any powdered laundry detergent.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Ingredients Prices at Time of Article
Ivory Soap 10 pack
Borax(20 Mule Team) 72oz box
Washing Soda(Arm & Hammer) 55oz box
Just over $3
Finished Homemade Laundry Detergent (64oz)
$3.78 or so(1 batch) or about 11 cents per load using 1/8 cup, 22 cents per load using 1/4 cup
32 Full Loads(if using 1/8 cup per load) 16 full loads(if using 1/4 cup per load)
Tide with bleach powder 144oz
$20.32 or 57 cents per load
Arm & Hammer Liquid 100oz
$6.97 or 21 cents per load
Toxic Commercial Laundry Detergents Poll
Did you know that there are toxic chemicals in most laundry commercial detergents?
Washing Soda & Borax
Greener Laundry & Money Saving Tips
- Stop using dry cleaning services. Traditional dry cleaning is not green at all. It's a toxic process that uses chemicals like perchloroethylene which has been linked to cancer and other issues. Most dry clean only clothes can be safely hand washed.
- Hang your clothes out to dry instead of using up all of that energy using the dryer.
- Wash and rinse in cold water. 90% of the cost of washing clothes is from heating the water. You can save a lot of money doing this.
- Wash only full loads of laundry
- Wear your clothes more than once. Many times are clothes are not even dirty after wearing them once. You can save money doing this too because it makes your clothes last longer!
- Read label on everything and keep an eye out for "Does not contain..."
What DIY Natural Homemade Recipes Do You Make or Would Like To Make?
Comment at the bottom of the page.
Links For DIY Homemade Natural Products
- How To Make the Best Homemade Aluminum Free Deodorant-Antiperspirant: Easy Recipe!
This is how to make the best natural deodorant without aluminum. It's the best deodorant for men & the best deodorant for women. This coconut oil deodorant is one of the best DIY projects that is easy
- Nutiva Coconut Oil Review & List of Coconut Oil Uses
Here I have reviewed Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and have explained some of the many uses of this coconut oil & the benefits of coconut oil like coconut oil for hair & coconut oil for skin
- How To Make 100% Natural Homemade Body Wash, Shampoo,Conditioner & Face Wash All-In-One
Here is how you save money & make your own All-In-One 100% natural homemade body wash, face wash, sulfate free shampoo & conditioner.This is how to make soap that works for your body, face and hair!
- DIY How To Make The Best Homemade Toothpaste That is All Natural, Organic and is Fluoride-Free
DIY Projects. Here you can see how to make the best fluoride-free all natural organic coconut oil toothpaste. This is the best whitening toothpaste and has all the benefits of coconut oil. DIY recipe
- DIY How To Make The Best Homemade Mouthwash That is All Natural, Organic and is Fluoride-Free
What is the best mouthwash?Your own DIY homemade mouthwash is the best mouthwash. It's very quick and easy to make, and it will save you a lot of money! This recipe is natural & fluoride-free!