How To Save on Your Power Bill
Power Outlet Strips
Save $$$$ on Utilities
This list in no way represents a few helpful ways to save money on your electric bill. However, these thirty ways to save money listed below are some very useful information, to help you save money in the end.
1. Use fluorescent lights because they last far longer than normal light bulbs. They are everywhere light bulbs are sold. They cost a little more when first purchased but, they last longer and save money off the electric bill each month. If purchasing these bulbs in bulk the price per bulb drops dramatically. This is a great way to save money on your light bill and groceries, at the same time.
2. Turn off lights when you leave each room or if you leave the house. It sounds trivial but, it makes a difference, in the power bill. Every little bit will help out over the course of thirty days. It is sometimes hard to be perfect with the lights at all times. Several rooms with lights on at one time uses more power than what we all realize.
3. Use a ceiling fan or portable fan instead of the air conditioner will help cut down on the usage air conditioner so long.They keep the air circulating and keeps the air from cutting on as frequently. They barely use any power so they are a great item to have handy. Place them in the hottest and most used areas of the home. Place a ceiling fan within each living space in the home. This will really help circulate the air.
4. Use curtains in the areas where the sun shines in. This extra heat will heat up your home without you even realizing it. This will help your home stay cooled without having to use the air conditioning unit or the central air unit. Obviously, the thicker the curtain, the cooler the room will be. If the curtain is more of a shear curtain, it will not keep much of the light and heat out of the room.
5. Buy energy saving appliances and equipment. It sounds obvious but, the truth is, it really does save you money each year on your electric bill. Look into items such as refrigerators, freezers, washers and dryers before buying them to see if they are energy efficient. Now appliances are labeled on the tag as to whether or not they are energy savers.
6. Another thing that we forget about at my home is to simply keep air filters cleaned monthly. It is often a forgotten thing to do but, it is very necessary and it will not only help on the power bill but, it will help air and heat perform at a better level. Dust gets inside the filters so change them out.
7. Unplug chargers and other items when not in use. We all forget to do this at times but, it will save you money every month on your power bill each month. Now a days, we have several chargers plugged in to the same device.
8. Close the blinds to keep the house cooler. Also, Use lighter colored blinds because dark colors attract the sun's heat. This is also to save money each month on the power bill.
9. Try a fixed bill from the power company. Most company's offer some sort of program. If you have a cheap average each month.
10. Installing a digital thermostat will save you money in the long term. Not to mention it's simple to use. Also, it is a neat thing to have.
11. Weatherstrip and caulk all windows and doors. This will help out big time during the winter months, to keep out the cold and reduce the price of the electric bill.
12. Add attic insulation to keep heat from rising up. Most attics have support but make sure your home has enough.
13. Insulate your water heater. This is simple to do and it makes a world of difference.
14. Use a low flow shower head. Very effective way to save on the water.
15. Wash your clothes in cold water. Over the course of three months you will see a big difference by doing something so minute and easy.
16. Use dishwasher only after it has been filled
17. Take a shower rather than a bath
18. Allow hot food to cool off before putting it in the fridge
19. Use the microwave instead of oven
20. Use laptop more than the desktop computer
21. Wash and Dry only full loads of clothing
22. Never block vents with any furniture
23. Leave space between the refrigerator and the walls
24. Use power strips when plugging in household items
25. Turn off oven fans and bathroom fans when not in use
26. Storm windows will keep hot air out and it will keep cold air in
27. Insulate hot water pipes
28. Keep fireplace closed tightly when it's not being used
29. Portable electric heaters are costly on the power bill
30. Never leave freezer door open
* Please leave any ideas you may have on saving money on your electric bill in the comments capsule located at the bottom of this page.
Power Saving Tips
Do you Have it?
Do you have Central Heat and air?
Home Related Hubs!
- How To Clean a Swimming Pool
This article describes how to clean and take care of your home swimming pool. Using a net, a vacuum robot and proper chemicals are very important for maintaining your pool.
- How To Grow Peppers and Tomatoes
This article focuses on how to grow Tomatoes and peppers. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this hub. Tomatoes and peppers can be seeded inside and then transferred to the garden. Always have stakes or fences built a
- How to Become a Gardening Expert
This green thumb gardening article describes tricks of the trade on how to successfully plant a garden. Plant marigolds to help keep insects away from your fruits and vegetables that are growing in the garden. Seven dust also helps keep bugs away. Pl
- Make Wood Designs with a Power Router
This hub documents how you can use a router to ingrate names and other designs into wood. Pictures, polls, video clips and commentary are listed in this article along with other facts and information on working with an electric router. Safety is impo
- How to Fix Furniture Scratches
This hub demonstrates some of the many ways to cover or eliminate scratches from furniture using many techniques including sand paper and furniture markers. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube clips and commentary are also featured in this article.
Try drying clothes on a clothes line instead of using a dryer which will help lower the power bill over the course of a month.
© 2012 Buster Johnson