How To Take Care Of Potted Orchids
My First Potted Phalaenopsis Orchid
Planting orchids is very easy to do as long as you know the basic of planting orchids, but taking care of them to stay or become more beautiful is another story. I heard about a lot of women who bought plenty of beautiful and expensive orchids in the shops, lost their hope and patience and threw their now bad looking flowers to the bins. How can it be avoided? It´s a pity because orchids cost at least 10 or 20 € in the flower shops. The prices depend what kinds of orchids they are.
Many years ago, I bought one potted Phalaenopsis orchid in our city flower shop. I thought, " well it´s expensive but it´s beautiful and I love to try my so called green hands". My hands were not really "green" because some of my window plants were dying out except the green lily. So I was happy putting my first potted pink Phalaenopsis orchid on our windowsill. I kept on looking at the orchid for I was so in love with the beauty of it. Then one day, I´ve noticed that the flowers were pulling down. I was sad and told my problem to my sister who was luckily working in a Dutch orchids company in The Netherlands, The company is selling orchids worldwide. Lucky me! I could have kissed my sis through the telephone. She told me what to do.
Special Orchids Mix
Special orchids mix for orchid lovers at home who are fond of growing orchids. I use this and my orchids are growing well and giving a beautiful bloom.
How To Take Care Of Potted Orchids
- Buy orchids with lots of new blooms. You´ll enjoy the flowers longer than you think.
- Always read the included instruction of the orchids when buying them in the shops or ask the saleslady how to take care of them.
- Remember, different kinds of orchids have different requirements when it comes to watering especially when it´s summer or wintertime.
- Put your potted orchids on a bright but not direct to sunlight windowsill. You can put the orchids as a centerpiece of your table as long as the room is bright enough for the orchids to have sunlight.
- Water them once a week by removing them from their fancy decorated pots and shower them with warm (at least 16° C) but not hot water on the bathtub. Let the water drain until no more drops of water left from the orchids. Put them back to their fancy pots. Dry the leaves of the orchids which become wet by using a cloth or a tissue paper.
- Water them twice a week when it´s summer time or if the bark under the orchids are dry. Don´t put them above or near the heater of the room when it´s winter time, neither put them near a draft windowsill. It will ruin the orchids.
- Fertilize the orchids once a month with a special orchids fertilizer.
- Have a beautiful relaxing music or even a loud one in the room where the orchids are living. They love music, too. You´ll know that when your orchids always have new blossoms.
- Always talk to your orchids nicely and ask them to give you more flowers. You´ll be surprised. They´ll give you what you have asked for. Well in my own experience, they did.
A must-have book for knowing the secrets of growing orchids. Very interesting to read and a lot of informations.
Do you love to have orchids plants in your house or flat?
- My Beautiful Orchids
My Beautiful Orchids is a poem about my dying out orchids. They missed the care of my mother who passed away a few years ago.I tried to give them life again by talking and whispering lovely words without thinking what the people think about me. With
After I have asked my sister about how to solve my orchids problem, I was relaxed and did what she told me. I became confident in buying more and more orchids. Then I started collecting different kinds of orchids. From Vanda to Cattleya but it was mostly Phalaenopsis I bought in different colours and sizes as they are easy to take good care of. When there was an "open day" at my sister´s work, I went with her to their company building to see all the exhibited orchids. It was not only an orchids exhibition but they were selling beautiful orchids for cheaper prices than in the market shops as well.
Months and years went by and I had all in all 16 potted orchids well presented at my 4 windowsill. Passersby just stopped for a while in front of our living room window (we lived on the ground floor at that time) to appreciate the beauty of my orchids. Some of my neighbours where following what I did. Decorating their windows with orchids. I was proud of myself.
Then, a few months later I was sad to give all my beautiful flowers to my friends as we had to move to Ireland for a few years. My heart ached for that decision of giving up my so loved orchids but I could not bring them with me as I was sure that they would never survive in Irelands cold climate. Anyway I thought they were in my friends good hands. A year later when I went to visit my relatives and friends in Germany, I found out that my orchids either died or never gave blossoms anymore. I was sorry for that.
The orchids photos I have posted here, besides the upper photo in this hub, are all cellphone photos taken before 2008. These are my remaining remembrance of my long lost orchids.
Thank you for reading my article. Please feel free to leave a comment.
- The Flowers In My Garden, A Photo Gallery
This is a photo gallery of almost all the flowers that I have in my garden. I just want to share the beauty and some informations about them.
- How To Take Care Of Potted Orchids
Have you bought an orchids and don´t know how to take care of this beautiful plant? Well, it´s easy as what you think of. Here are some tips on how to take good care of these awesome flowers.
Video About Orchids
© 2012 Thelma Alberts