How to Clean a Mattress Using a Rug Doctor
Cleaning a Mattress with Wool Lite and a Rug Doctor
Children's Mattress's can be a hot spot for Odors. Stains and Germs. This technique really is worth the effort.
Simple steps to Refresh and Sanitize your child's mattress (works well with larger mattresses to) (will not work on Foam or Pillow Top mattresses)
Things you will need!
- Rug Doctor and Hose. Rental from 25.00 - 30.00 Rug doctors can also be purchased.
- Wool Lite or other cleaning solution, I do not recommend Carpet Cleaner as it has harsh chemicals.
- A few single or twin blade razors. Un used work much better than old razors.
- HOT water as Hot as you can get it, Rug Doctor has NO conduit heat source.
- Stain Remover
- Clean scrub brush
- Plastic Drop cloth to keep mattress clean while moving (never allow child to sleep on Plastic covering)
- Packing tape to secure drop cloth.
Steps to take
- Turn Mattress on its Side long ways. Will have to be leaned up against something non porous that may be able to get slightly wet. (very important that you do not clean mattress while lying flat.)
Take the disposable razor and shave off the little nub's. Hold fabric or "ticking" taught and make feather motions to remove and re-nu fabric.`
Take the Nozzle off the Hose portion of the Rug Doctor attachment. This is a Super power vacuum that will remove allergens and dander. Make sure to get into the Creases and crevices where sides of mattress meet.
(Optional) Pre treat any spots or stains with a stain remover. Agitate them with a Scrub Brush.
Prepare your solution of Wool Lite and HOT water. Make mix in your Clean water reservoir in your Rug Doctor.
Turn on your Machine with hose attachment in place and the switch for hose attachment in the correct position.
Begin at the Bottom of the mattress which will be side lying. Make movements in upward strokes making sure to squeeze attachment trigger often but Release it when you near the top portion of the mattress.
After you Make a Pass using the trigger and cleaning solution Make a few passes with just the suction. This is an important tip to getting a Clean DRY mattress.
Switch sides, Repeat steps 1-8
Allow mattress to Air Dry in a well ventilated room for at least 24 hours.
Do not use or Package mattress for storage until it is completely dry.
(Optional) Lay Dry clean mattress on Plastic Drop cloth and wrap it tightly. Secure with Packing tape.