How to Create a Beach hut Themed Summerhouse in Your Garden or Yard.
Turn Your Summerhouse Into a Beach Hut.
You can easily and cheaply turn any garden shed or summerhouse into a beach hut using just paint, a few carefully sourced items and a little bit of imagination. An outside room can be a real asset for any home, extending your living space and giving you a wonderful place to relax and enjoy your garden. Just about any shed can be turned into a beach hut, it just needs to be reasonably sound with a watertight roof. Minor waterproofing problems can be easily resolved with filler and felting.
A Beach House in Your Garden.
Turn Your Shed Into a Beach hut.
Some paint, old furniture, a few odds and ends, time and imagination and you have a beach hut to enjoy.
Do you have any type of shelter in your garden or yard?
How to Create Your Beach hut.
If you are lucky enough to be using a brand new summerhouse turning it into a beach hut themed garden room will only take one day. If like me, you are utilizing an old one it will probably take a day longer.
1) Give the hut a really good clean inside and out. Skip this step if the hut is new.
2) Check the inside and using silicon sealant fill any large gaps in the wood. Leave this to dry before you start painting. Remove any large splinters and sand down any very rough patches, you don't need to be too particular with this as a few imperfections only add to the charm of the finished hut.
3) Paint the hut in a suitable outdoor paint. We used pale blue with cream trim around the door and the roof. Shed and fence paints come in a wide variety of colours so you can really let your imagination run wild. Stripes would work well and means that you can use up leftover paint which is a real money saver. Think about deckchairs and beach umbrellas for inspiration. Leave it natural and just weather treat the shed if you want to create a Tiki style hut.
4) Paint the inside white, start with the roof, then the walls and finally the floor. Make sure the shed is well ventilated during this stage. I find white works best as it gives you a blank canvas to work on but any light colour is fine, it's your beach hut so anything goes.
5) Paint the wicker chairs with the same white paint. As with the interior, I find white works best in such a small space but you could use any appropriate colour.
6) When the paint is fully dry the fun really starts. Put up the bunting using cup hooks. Use the same hooks for the string of lights. We used flamingo ones, the pink colour looks amazing at night.
7) Fill the beach hut with seashells, bunting, pictures, driftwood, seaside themed soft furnishings - just about anything you have connected with the sea works, let your imagination run wild again.
8) Add lights inside and out to add interest at night and extend the time you can enjoy the beach hut.
9) Consider adding some form of heating for colder days/nights.
Don't Forget About Ventilation.
Always leave the door open for ventilation when you paint the hut. Better to be safe than sorry. It will dry quicker too.
Inside the Beach hut.
Things You Will Need to Create Your Beach hut.
Two wicker chairs/ small table
Seaside themed decore
Battery powered lights.
Seaside Themed Decoration for a Beach hut.
Pick Suitable Beach Themed Decorations.
Use Your Beach hut all Year Round.
Once you have created your beach hut make sure you get the maximum use of it. If you are lucky enough to live somewhere where the weather is warm year round then you don't need to do anything other than ensure your hut is watertight. If like me, you live in a more unforgiving place then a few additions can allow you to use your hut year round.
Throws or rugs are great for wrapping around your legs as the night air turns cold. If you have some spare funds invest in a heater of some sort, I use a small tabletop gel fire and it really does make my beach hut warm and toasty no matter what the British weather throws at me. I can sit inside and imagine I am on holiday, a real treat on a cold November day. Just remember to leave the door open a crack for ventilation. This is REALLY important.
Small gel Fire for Nightime Heating.
Heating Your Beach hut.
A small gel fire is a great way to provide heat for your beach hut, just remember you need ventilation.
Add Lights for Night Time Interest.
Adding strings of lights, inside and out, will greatly enhance the appearance of your Beach hut at night and make it safer and easier to use too. You can buy solar powered lights cheaply just about everywhere, I ordered mine from Amazon. A line of lights on the ground leading up to your hut draws you inside. You just want to walk up, open the door and sit down. I have recently treated myself to a string of pink flamingo lights, kitsch, yes, but they look really good next to my beach hut.
The Beach hut at Night.
Don't forget to add lights for interest after dark. Lighting your beach hut means you can use it at any time day or night.
Do you have lights in your garden or yard?
Don't forget the Outside of Your Beach hut.
You can easily extend the seaside theme to the rest of your garden or yard, at the very least you can make the area right outside the summerhouse look tropical and beach like. Covering the ground with small pebbles or gravel looks amazing but its best to avoid sand as that can lead to all sorts of problems, including turning your garden into a toilet for every cat in the neighbourhood!
Choosing the right plants is important too. Palm trees, cordylines, grasses and bamboo look really tropical and all come in hardy varieties. Mediterranean plants such as rosemary and lavender look good and smell wonderful as you brush past them.
Plants to use to Enhance the Beach Theme.
Suitable Plants to Enhance Your Beach hut.
Palm Trees and Flamingo Lights Enhance Your Beach hut.
Solar Powered Flamingo Garden Lights.
These are the great looking solar powered flamingo lights I use in the garden. They charge up really well, even in the UK, and the lights last all night. They are very robust and are waterproof and fade proof. You can position the flamingos in a line or as I have to face in different directions. They are a fun addition to your beach themed garden.
The most important thing to remember when creating your beach hut themed summerhouse is this - it is YOUR summerhouse. You could give it a tropical Tiki hut feel by using bamboo, fake parrots, silk flowers and rush mats on the floor. Turn it into a Punch and Judy style hut. Build a bar in the corner, turn it into a Hobbit house from Lord of the Rings. Anything goes. Just make it fun and personal to you.
I have added quite a few extra things to my basic beach hut summerhouse, an extra folding chair from a cheap bistro set, an old crate upended to use as a small table, handy for a glass of wine or a tropical cocktail, fish-shaped mirrors, netting, glass floats, driftwood pictures, actually, thinking about it, it's a wonder I can still fit in! Just go to town and use anything and everything you like in your beach hut. I hope you get as much pleasure from yours as I have from mine. Enjoy!
Please Take the Time to Answer This Quick Question. Thank you.
Do you have, or want, a beach hut themed summerhouse in your garden or yard?
© 2018 Galaxy Harvey