How to Grow Healthy Lettuce at Your Garden - A Step by Step Guide
Lettuce is quiet easy to grow. You may wonder: “ Why shall I grow lettuce ? It is not very expensive either, is not it?”
You may like to plant and grow some lettuce for mainly for fun. Believe me gardening is a very interesting activity to pass your free time. You shall not be able to ignore the level of satisfaction when you shall be able to cook the lettuce produced on your own micro farm.
Lettuce looks good in garden and also on your plate. Remember that the test of home grown vegetables seems much better than that of the market.
If you are a determined fellow to grow lettuce and have no doubt about their necessities then I know you are now very much annoyed with the author (that’s me!). All right, I am sorry, no more loose talks. I am going to the important part of this hub.
List of the Things Needed
Holla, farmer here is the list of the things which you shall need during your planting and farming.
1) Lettuce seeds
2) A draw hoe
3) A garden fork
4) Stakes and string
Cast Your Vote
Do you like lettuce ?
Prepare the Soil
Lettuce will be best grown in a site which is not in the path of direct high wind. The soil need have to be loosed.
1) To make the soil loose use a pitchfork.
2) It the soil is too hard then till it with a hand tractor.
3) There should not be any stones.
4) Use a rake to make the surface soft and smooth.
You need have to plant your lettuce in rows for better growth and irrigation. To do it you need have to use strings and stakes. Tie down the string between the stakes. Repeat the process for multiple rows.
Now follow the string and dig a ½ inch trench under it. Leave a gap of 1 foot among the rows
OK, Let Us Sow
Now it is the time to drop seeds.
What will be the gap between the seeds?
It depends upon the variety of the lettuce you are sowing. The instruction can be found on the packet of the seed. If you are unsure then leave a gap of 10 to 12 inches among each seed.
After that you need have to cover the seeds with soil. You can do it by hand or may use a hoe for doing it quicker.
Various Types of Lettuce
Water your Farm
You need have to water the seeds regularly for germination. The soil must remain wet otherwise the seeds will be dormant for longer time period. After the germination avoid watering in the evening to protect the plants from bacterial and fungus attacks.
Cut the Leaves
After 4 weeks your lettuce will be ready for your salads.
Grow Lettuce : A Video
1) For the germination of the seeds you need to have a temperature below 80 degree Fahrenheit. If you begin your planting in the warmer seasons you may have to find a place much cooler, or cover the soil.
2) There are various categories of lettuce. There are some seeds which are better for cooler seasons and also some are for hotter. Select seeds according to the season.
3) Feed the soil with compost or sea weed extract for every two weeks for best results.
4) You need have to keep your mini farm free from weeds.
5) Pelleted lettuce seeds are easier to sow
How to Keep Your Lettuce Healthy
Lettuce is prawn to fungus attack in damp weather. If patches appear on or under the leaves then you should have to use some fungicide like a copper soap.
You can spray neem oil as a natural insecticide to make your farm free from harmful pests. If you can introduce parasitic wasps to your farm then it will be pest free.
Lettuce is relatively easy to grow. So, why wait go to your farm and start planting.