- Planting Flowers
Growing Orchid Cactus (Peacock's Tail or Epiphylum) With Photos
Orchid Cactus also known as Peacock's Tail or Epiphyllums
Orchid Cactus is easy to grow and care for as I have found out by trial and error. I had this plant for a few years now and this year is the best year ever since I had them. The two pots that I have, produced a lot of beautiful pink flowers which are so pretty to look at and enjoy.
I know I have to wait maybe two years for them to bloom but it is worth waiting for. The flowers will stay maybe two months or more. After one month of flowering the centre of the flower will open and reveal a stamen on the centre. It is so gorgeous to see each day. Once the plant is established, it flowers every 10 months of the year.
How to grow ORCHID CACTUS or Epiphyllums:
1. After the orchid cactus flowers had all gone, take leaf cuttings from the mother cactus.
2. Put them in a glass or vase with water and leave until roots appear at the cuttings.
3. Prepare a pot with compost (multipurpose or your own compost).
4.Plant about 4 or 5 leaves in each pot with compost.
5. Water and leave it on a shaded area for a week(no direct sunlight).
6. Check if soil is dry, water it but if not leave it.
7. This plant doesn't like too much water as it rots easily if you water it too much.
8. When plant is established and new leaves or shoots start to come out then place them in a part of your house where there is sunlight but not direct. I positioned my two pots on my kitchen top with some sunlight.
Orchid Cactus or Epiphyllums Photos
How To Care For Orchid Cactus(Epiphyllums) before and after flowering
Once the roots have established you can see new leaves coming out of the leaves that you planted. If you like, you can split the four leaves you had planted in one pot to four separate pots as this leaves will become many or leave them as they are and plant at least two pots or more for spare.
For me, I like to have a few pots of them in case one of them dies then I have some more to replace them. It is better to have spare I find. Also I like giving them to friends who like flowers or plants like me.
After the Orchid plant finished flowering, this is the time to grow some more and take leaf cuttings. Put the cuttings in a glass with water or a vase with water and leave them in a shaded place until their roots start coming out from your cuttings. Then start planting them in pots with multipurpose compost.
This flower is so easy to grow. The flowers come in different colours as well. There is white, pink, peach, red and orange too. Sometimes their flowers look like orchids, I think that is why they call them Orchid cactus. They are not cactus as well because they got no thorns. Beautiful flower to have around the house.
Have you ever seen this orchid cactus before?
Believe it or not this flower is still alive until now. I have this flower maybe 17 years now and it still flowers every year. I really recommend it to anyone who loves flowers that is easy to look after like me. All it needs is water and some plant food every now and then.
How to grow orchid cactus(epiphyllum)
- How To Grow and Look After a Money Tree Plant with Flowers
Money Plant (also known as Jade) once its planted will look after itself. It just needs watering once a week and feeding once and a while.
Growing orchid cactus
These flowers are so lovely and easy to grow.
© 2013 Linda Bryen