How to build a no dig garden
5 Steps to planting your garden
You don't need to dig or till an area to have a vegetable or flower bed. You wont need a large area either to grow beautiful flowers or tasty vegetables this year. If you have a space as small as a 4' by 4' area you can have a no-dig garden in one day. Imagine growing your own vegetables in the city or anywhere and being able to save money at the supermarket by supplying your own fresh vegetables.
List of Necessary Supplies
List of supplies needed to build your no dig garden
- 8 or more landscaping timbers to build a square or rectangle
- drill and drill bits for wood and wood screws or a hammer and long shank nails
- (4) 40 lb bags of Miracle Grow Potting Soil
- a rake
5 Steps To Make A No Dig Garden
5 Steps to planting your no dig garden
- Frame a square or rectangle using the landscaping timbers and fasten together with wood screws or long shank nails.
- Cut down any weeds that are in the inside of the garden bed.
- Spread out sheets of newspaper 8 to 10 sheets thick to cover the bottom of the bed.
- Add compost, manure, potting soil and mix together and spread over the newspaper with the rake.plant your vegetables or flowers and water lightly to wet down the soil and plants.
Enjoy your new no-dig garden and water when the soil starts to dry out or your plants droop which is a sign your plants need water. Weed as needed, and keep your vegetables picked to continue to enjoy fresh vegetables all season. Try raising sugar snap peas, green beans, carrots, radishes, lettuce or cucumbers if you are beginning gardener. The use of a garden fence or trellis can free up space by allowing vegetables such as peas, green beans and cucumbers the opportunity to grow up instead of sprawling over the ground and makes picking the fresh vegetables easier to reach. If you grow tomatoes or peppers try using a cage that you purchase at any garden store such as Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, etc for around one dollar each or more depending on the strength of the cage.