How to clean a freezer
If you want to prolong the life of your freezer you have to provide a good maintenance. And like I promised in my hub How to clean and organize your refrigerator, here are my tips to clean the freezer.
Clean you freezer in 8 easy steps
1. You have to clean the freezer at least two times of year. As opposite to the fridge, you can’t clean your freezer every week. Do it during the spring cleaning and after that you can clean it again in October or November.
2. First of all you have to throw the products you don’t need anymore. Ice cream from the last year, frozen pizza with expired date. You don’t need junks in your freezer. They just make the freezer work harder and this can break the machine.
3. Take out everything from inside and put it in the fridge for a while. After that you have to turn off the freezer and let it defrost. Remove the shelves. Don’t try to remove the ice, just let it melt. If you try to break the ice, you can harm the freezer’s walls. When the freezer is completely defrost, remove the water.
4. Clean the removable parts with warm soapy water and wipe them dry very well. You can put a little vinegar in the water for better result.
5. Wash the freezer’s interior with warm water and soap. If there food stuck on the walls, remove it gently. Despite low temperatures, there are some types of mold and germs that can grow in there. So make sure that the freezer’s interior is completely clean. Before you wipe dry the walls, wash them only with warm water.
6. Wipe the freezer with dry towel to remove the water. It has to be completely dry because, if the water that left freeze, after that it will be far easier the formation of ice.
7. Don’t forget to clean the freezer’s exterior. Use only warm water and lemon juice in it. If the freezer is stainless steel you have to use the suitable cleaning product. Make circle moves to remove the fingerprints.
8. When the freezer is completely clean, it is time to back again the food. Before doing this, you have to wipe the product’s boxes, too. Just remove the ice and the stuck food parts. If you have some products that have really strong smell, put them in the boxes. This way you can stop the spread of the smell.