How to Make a Cactus Garden
Creating a container cactus garden is surprisingly easy. Once you have all the supplies, putting the container together takes no more than 30 minutes (with a four-year-old helping).
The finished product is beautiful and low-maintenance.
Below, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to easily create your own cactus garden.
1. Choose your container. Choose something shallow and flat. I used an oversized candle holder.
2. From your local garden center, choose a few cactus that appeal to you. Based on the size of my container, I chose one four-inch cactus for the center, and four one-inch cactus for the surrounding area.
3. Additional items you need to purchase if you do not have readily available:
- Gloves that will protect your hands from the cactus
- Potting soil (the smallest package available should suffice)
4. From your local craft store, or your backyard, choose rocks that compliment your container. Be sure to buy a lot - the potting soil sinks under the weight of the rocks. I purchased three bags from Joann Fabrics.
Once you get all the supplies ready, you are ready to begin planting.
5. Put on gloves that will protect you from the cactus.
6. Fill your container 3/4 full of potting soil.
7. Remove the cactus from their store containers. You should get a chunk of dirt and roots along with the cactus. Keep all of this intact.
8. Bore holes in places you want the cactus to be placed.
9. Insert the cactus with roots into the spots you designated.
10. Add additional potting soil. Pack in tight in order to keep the cactus in their places.
Now that your cactus are firmly planted in their new home, you are ready to decorate with the rocks.
11. Add the rocks on top of the potting soil.
12. Pour water over the whole container to get the soil wet. Do not drench the cactus - they do not particularly like water.
13. Put container in a spot that will get a lot of sun.
14. Clean up your mess.