Kitchen Cabinet Wood Types
The best looking kitchen cabinets are without ones that were made using wood and natural wood at that. If you are thinking about wooden kitchen cabinets then you'll have to think about the type of wood and also the color of the wood. We all have our budgets and some types of wood cost more than others. Some are actually outrageously expensive. First think about why you want your kitchen cabinets. If they are for you and your family then you probably want them to last. If however you want them for a new home that you intend to sell in 5 years time then you don't gave to get best quality product. the fact is the new home buyers won't appreciate what you have and they certainly wouldn't want to buy a premium for something that was tasteful to you. As far as choosing the type of wood your budget will determine this aspect of your decision. But when it comes to color then you can choose whatever kitchen cabinet color you want and if you want white then you can even match it with white kitchen table or other kitchen furniture.
Different Wood For Kitchen Cabinets
The best and most durable wood is hardwood. It is also the most expensive but also the best. There are several choices when it comes to hardwoods.
- Cherry is a lovely closed grained wood and is ideal for cabinets. The word cheery comes with reason because it does turn redder over time especially when it is exposed to direct sunlight over time.
- Oak is one of the most durable hardwoods you will find and it is also very attractive. It is especially great for kitchen cabinets because is holds very well when it comes to moisture.
- Maple is another excellent type of wood that looks great in kitchen cabinetry.
- Rosewood is a red wood and that is obvious by its name rosewood. It is absolutely gorgeous and also very expensive and rarely are kitchen cabinets made with this fine wood because of the high costs.
- Cedar is a great softwood that lasts a very long time and this type of wood not only looks good but smells sweet
- Pine is one of the mostly used softwoood because it is good quality and is also easy to construct furniture with.
- Redwood is another good softwood that is also great for making furniture. It also looks great when you use almost any kind of finishing with it.
Other Types Of Popular Wood
- MDF or Medium Density Fibre is as cheap as you can get. It would be a mistake to use this furniture. They use it for shelving and using it for shelves is also a risk if moisture is a possibility. It will bloats whenever mositure seeks in to this fake wood.
- Plywood is a very strong yet flexible wood and is sometimes used in making the base of cheap kitchen cabinets.
Hardwoods and softwoods are very good with hardowood being the better of the two. You can use any of the two but as a word of advice stay away from MDF no matter what. You might get a good deal but it will only be a matter of time before your kitchen cabinets fall apart. You might think I have a grievance against MDF kitchen cabinets and yes I do but I'm not the only one. Kitchen cabinets are opened and closed each and every day. The entire family uses them and they should at least use real wood and not cheap material like MDF.
Its always good to research all the options of wood that is available for your kitchen cabinets. Look for the best quality your budget can buy. The shades of wood can differ greatly so make sure you think carefully about what which ones would go with your counters and appliances. If you are interested then you can look for an online kitchen planner for a preview on what your kitchen would look like.
- Kitchen Decorating White Kitchen Cabinets
White Kitchen With White Kitchen Cabinets Decorating your kitchen with a color you love is very important. This is why i am puzzled when people ask is this color right for my kitchen. Do white kitchen...
- DIY Black Kitchen Cabinets
Simple & Lovely Black Kitchen Cabinets If you want your kitchen to look great without spending too much money then you have to think about a DIY approach. Black kitchen cabinets can cost a lot of money but if...
- Kitchen Cabinet