Make Your Own Linen Spray
A House Should Smell Like a Home
I am always concerned about how my house smells to outsiders. I cook a lot and I have 3 small dogs, all of which can cause awful smells if there's a problem. I must be very careful with air fresheners. I have several birds and a child with asthma. I have to keep my house smelling fresh without the extra chemicals in the air that can be harmful to both pets and children.
It is so easy to make your own beautiful aromatic sprays with essential oils or tinctures. It is more cost effective to make my own and I can use it for so many things! Not only do herbal tinctures and oils smell wonderful, they can be medicinal depending on the herb you choose to infuse.
I love lavender for it's many medicinal uses as well as it's intoxicating smell. Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile is said to have seduced both Julius Ceaser and Mark Anthony with it's aromatic scent.
Essential oils are in! They can be used for a variety of purposes. I also use them to make linen spray and scented water. Essential oils are used for their therapeutic properties as well as their aromatic smells. They can be used to make fragrant creams, lotions, massage oils or used a few drops at a time for a compress. Not only do herbs act as holistic, medicinal remedies but some have anti fungal or antibacterial properties (such as lavender).
Essential oil can be very cheap to purchase and you can use one small bottle for a multipurpose ingredient. If you want to use any essential oils for fabric sprays, make sure to use the lighter colored oils as they may stain cloth.
Perfect for a gift basket!
Herbal tinctures are made by covering an herb with alcohol and letting it sit over a period of time. Some tinctures are made with a combination of alcohol and water. Tinctures can be made for medicinal purposes and consumption.* Lavender tincture can be used for linen spray or added to the rinse cycle of the laundry. I use it on sheets and towels and it makes my entire bedroom smell fresh.
There are many ways to make herbal tinctures depending on the intended use and herb. Lavender tincture is easy to make and goes a long way. I make a concentrate that lasts forever and I only need a few drops for each load of laundry. A teaspoon added to distilled water is enough to yield a full 12 oz spray bottle.
Uses for the Home
- Use in the rinse cycle for sheets and towels
- Spray on pillow cases and bed sheets
- Spray on fabric furniture
- Spray it in the car
- Make small bottles for gym lockers & school lockers for your kids
- Use it in your office
- Spray the linen closet
- Make a compress to ease head aches
- Use it to spritz your clothing before you iron
How to make lavender tincture:
There are several ways to make herbal tinctures and there are different ingredients depending on the purpose. I use mine in my rinse cycle and to spritz on fabric items in the home. I used a simple method that yields a concentrated liquid that will last indefinitely.
- Snip the lavender stems and flowers and place them in a bowl. Use a mortar and pestle or the back of a spoon to break up the stems a little bit to release some of the oils.
- Put the flowers into a glass jar, cover completely with alcohol. (Some people do use rubbing alcohol but I would not because I want a floral spray not astringent) You can use a cheaper plain brand but if you intend to consume it - I would use a good brand.
- Cover the jar with a tight fitting lid and store it in a dry place. Shake it once or twice a day to help release the oils in the herb. The longer you let it sit, the more fragrant it will be. (Mine sat for 3 weeks)
- Use a cheesecloth to strain the lavender from the liquid. You can add more lavender and allow the liquid to sit for another period of time and this will concentrate it even more).
- You can now choose to cover the jar with a coffee filter and store in a dark place for a couple more weeks. The alcohol will evaporate and what you have left will be the essential oil. OR you can choose to put a tight fitting lid on at this point and use the concentrated liquid to add to filtered or purified water for linen spray or laundry rinse.
I use about a teaspoon of the concentrate and add it to about 8 oz of tap water and pour it in the rinse water of the laundry cycle. It makes my pillow cases and sheets smell heavenly. You can also purchase beautiful perfume atomizers or spray bottles and add distilled water and tincture concentrate and give them as gifts or add them to baskets.
I pour some into 1.5 oz spray bottles and my children take them in their back packs to use for their lockers and gym lockers. I spray my linen closet and my sheets with this and it smells so fresh. I also cart the small bottles when we travel. I spray the linen at the hotels so it smells like home.
You can also make a linen spray by using drops of essential oil and mixing it with equal parts of alcohol and filtered water. The alcohol acts as the solvent and will help preserve the liquid as well.
Some people drink tinctures for their healing effects but herbs can be very strong medicine and should never be used without first consulting your doctor. Some herbs can cause strong allergic reactions or even have fatal results to both adults and children. Keep this away from the reach of small children.
Get Lavender Merchandise!
The 1259 Shuttle from Yesterday to Today - A Novel By William Holland
- Therapeutic Values of Lavender
How to heal with lavender flower. Healing properties of lavender. Health benefits of lavender.
"Strength of character may be learned at work, but beauty of character is learned at home." ~Henry Drummond