- Home Improvement»
- Lamps & Interior Lighting Improvements
Make the Switch to LED Light Bulbs
When choosing light bulbs for your home, you have three major options - incandescent, CFL and LED.
For the most part, incandescent bulbs have been replaced by CFL bulbs, which use less watts than the standard incandescent bulb. But, for the most part, CFL bulbs are miniature versions of full-sized fluorescent bulbs that give off a similar light to incandescent. These coil-shaped bulbs use less energy than incandescent bulbs, but they still use too much energy.
To save more money on your electricity bill, make the switch to LED. The upfront cost is more, but the cost in the long-run are much less.
LEDs - Light Emitting Diodes
LEDs are Light Emitting Diodes. They are the most energy efficient lighting that you can currently purchase for your home. These bulbs use less energy and last longer than other existing bulbs.
Basically, electrons are passed through a semiconductor material that illuminates tiny particles. These tiny particles are clustered together when used inside light bulbs.
LEDs produce directional light, which is why they've mostly been used in flashlights and cabinet lighting, but by adding a reflector, the LED light can be spread to illuminate a room similar to that of a CFL bulb
Benefits of LED Light Bulbs
- LED bulbs last up to 10 times longer than CFL bulbs.
- LED bulbs do not have a filament, so they are harder to damage than CFLs.
- LED bulbs do not get hot. They product about 3.4 BTUs an hour versus 85 BTUs for CFL bulbs. Because they do not get hot, the overall heat buildup in a room will be less, and your air conditioning costs may even decrease.
- LED bulbs only use 2 to 17 watts of electricity.
CFL bulbs have been a temporary solution to incandescent bulbs, but they are not the long-run answer. By replacing your indoor lights to LED, you'll see an immediate change in your power usage and electricity bill.
You can even update your outside spotlights and motion lights for a more effective use of your power.
Other nice benefits to LED bulbs:
- They do not contain mercury.
- They are recyclable.