Making Your Own Laundry Soap/Detergent
- Bar of soap (any type you choose)
- 1/2 cup washing soda
- 1/2 cup Borax
- Cheese Grater
- Large spoon
- 5 gallon bucket
How to do it..
Making your own laundry soap can be so much fun! Part of the fun is knowing you are saving money!
- Start out by grating the bar of soap.
- In the 5 gallon bucket put 2 gallons of hot water along with 1/2 cup Borax and 1/2 cup washing soda.
- In a large pot put 6 cups of hot water along with the grated soap.
- Boil together soap and water until soap is fully dissolved.
- Pour the water and soap mixture into the 5 gallon bucket with the other ingeridients and STIR until dissolved.
Place the lid on the bucket and leave for at least 24 hours. When you use your laundry soap you may notice it looks lumpy, but that is just fine. Use this soap a 1/2-3/4 cups at a time.
You may also transfer the detergent from the large bucket to a smaller detergent container you may have around.
The detergent works as well for me as any other brand I have used. It keeps our clothes nice and clean with out all the added expense! Making your own detergent is certainly a great way to keep cost down on a necessity for a household.
I use it as a great way to pre-treat my clothes by just pouring a bit on the stain and leaving it overnight. It really works!!!!
Hope you enjoy your money saving detergent!