Presto 1781 Canning Pressure Cooker
Presto 1781 23-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker Canner Review
The Presto 1781 23-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner is a high quality device that allows you to use it both as a large pressure cooker and as a pressure canner for a range of ingredients - especially low-acid foods, where pressure canning is the only safe method to use according to the USDA. This product has been selling in huge numbers and is one of the best selling kitchen cookware products of its kind. But is it worth the price tag?
What To Look For In A Pressure Cooker And Pressure Canner
* Aluminum Vs. Steel: The former heats up well and costs less, but steel will last longer.
* Size: All pressure cookers need extra space for steam to build up, which you should factor into your decision.
* Pressure regulator: Different cookers have different ways of indicating the current pressure and keeping the pressure within a certain range.
* Safety: Pressure can be dangerous, so it's wise to choose a cooker/canner with inbuilt protection.
* Warranty: It's recommended to look for a 10 year+ warranty.
* Cooking Rack: Choosing cookers with a cooking rack will allow you to cook things above the water.
* Handles: Larger pressure cookers will need handles on both sides to help you move them easily.
Features Of The Presto 1781 23-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker Canner
* 23 quart size pressure cooker/ canner,
* Holds 20 pint jars/ 7 quart jars,
* Made from extra-strong warp-resistant aluminum,
* Stay-cool handles,
* Strong lock steel lid,
* Can be used on both regular and smooth-top ranges,
* Pressure gauge automatically allows you to keep a constant pressure,
* Air vent and cover lock means pressure will only build up once the cover is properly closed,
* Comes with cooking/ canning rack to allow liquid to circulate underneath jars,
* Instructions and recipe book,
* 12 year warranty.
Benefits Of Using The Presto 1781 23-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker Canner
A number of customers have reviewed this product and the feeling is generally positive. Overall, customers are saying how well this works as a pressure cooker and canner. The fact that it has dual usage as both a safe canner for low-acid foods and a large pressure cooker means it is well worth the money you will spend, especially considering it's backed by an impressive 12 year warranty.
Many people are wary of pressure canning due to the safety issues, though thankfully this pressure cooker/ canner comes with a number of safety features to prevent any dangerous situations. An overpressure plug is designed to release pressure if it gets to high, and this pressure cooker limits the pressure to 15psi (an essential safety feature to look for in any pressure cooker). The cover is locked on during use, unable to be opened until the pressure has gone down.
The Drawbacks Of This Presto Canner
This is a 23-quart pressure cooker, meaning that it's large due to the fact that it can also be used for canning. Because the pressure canner is large in size, it cans 20 pints at a time. The inevitable drawback is that the canner is big and quite heavy.
There have been some mixed reviews when it comes to the capacity of the canner. Some customers have mentioned that they were only able to use it for 18 pints, rather than the advertised 20. Others, however, have said they can fit 20 pints just fine.
If you're mainly going to use it as a pressure cooker, bear in mind that cookers in smaller sizes are going to cost less than this model. However, the Presto 1781 23-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner is highly respected and recommended when it comes to canning both high and low-acid foods.
Buy The Presto 1781 Pressure Cooker Canner At Amazon
Presto 1781 Pressure Cooker Canner
Presto 1755 16-Quart Pressure Cooker Canner