ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Residential Construction - What to Submit to the Planning Department?

Updated on July 26, 2011

If your residential construction project needs to go through a Planning Department Review, most likely you're altering the exterior appearance or the footprint of your building. This scale of project generally involves a larger design team other than your favorite decorator. Typically, any Planning Department will have a check list outlining what needs to be submitted with your application. Be sure to review them with your design team. In general, you are expected to submit the following architectural drawings: site plan, building plan, exterior elevations, site sections, 3-D renderings, and/or color and material samples. For more information on each of the items listed above, see here. In addition, they may request the following items. They are typically provided by different consultants.

  • Property Survey - This is completed by a licensed land surveyor contracted directly with the Owner rather than under the architect/designer. There are two types of surveys, an Alta survey locates the property line and any on-site easements, a Topographic survey which shows the slope, topography (contour or spot elevation), site features of your project. Both are important and may be required by the Planning Department. Most of the time, these two are combined and shown on one sheet of drawing. You just need to be clear of what kind of survey you're obtaining.
  • Preliminary Grading Plan - This is prepared by a licensed civil engineer to show grading around the construction site. This drawing is then used by the same engineer to prepare the Cut/Fill Calculation listed below. Preliminary Grading Plan is crucial on sloped site. This will affect the City/local jurisdiction's storm water drainage capacity. Civil engineer can be contracted with the Owner directly or under the architect/designer.
  • Cut/Fill Calculation - Again, if your project is located on a sloped site and requires major grading, the Planning Department may request a calculation of how much soil you plan to relocate or import. This calculation is typically done by the civil engineer.
  • Arborist Report - If there are mature trees on your project, the Planning Department may require you to hire a licensed arborist to survey the trees on the property. Or if your addition/construction is too close to neighboring property, they may request that your arborist report includes adjacent property's trees. This report is in addition to the property survey. The report typically outlines the species, size, condition of each tree, as well as identifies any Heritage (historic) Trees on site. It also will detail a protection plan if the tree is too close to the area of construction. If the tree is slated to be removed, it will identify the replacement value of the tree, in case the Planning Department wants you to replace it.
  • Landscape Plans - This is prepared by a landscape architect. It should show preliminary landscape design, plant palate/species, proposed plant sizes, conceptual irrigation design and or water budget/usage calculation. It should also show pictures of the plants and site furniture if they are being used at locations where the public can see it.

These are just a sample of what the Planning Department may required.  If you have additional questions, feel free to drop me a note.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)