Retractable Screen Door Reviews
Retractable Screens Review
So you've made the decision- you want a retractable screen. Now the hard part- which brand of retractable screen- and which company? There are several things to consider:
1. The overall quality of the screen door
2. Ease of use/Safety
3. Professional installation or DIY?
The Home Depot, Lowe's - big box DIYs are all pretty identical- that is to say- not so good. If you're combing the web hoping to find a happy review of an ODL or other do-it-yourself, don't fool yourself. Call Home Depot or Lowes, and talk to the special order desk. Ask them how many get returned- it will scare you. The truth is, retractable screens are not inexpensive, and you do get what you pay for.
Retractable Screens Quality
When it comes to quality- there four brands that make the cut. Don't waste your time with Reel, Casper, Vanishing, Dreamscreens, Aloha, or any other brand except:
Phantom Screens, Clearview Screens, Wizard Screens, or Mirage Screens.
All of the above are heavy gauge, will hold up over time, and are professionally installed.
Better Retractable Screen Doors
There are only very subtle differences between a Mirage, Wizard, and Phantom Screen Door. All are made in Vancouver, Canada. All 3 are almost identical in thickness of Material. The main differences:
1. Mirage is powder coated, Phantom and Wizard Screens are not
2. Phantom is available at Lowes so there is some added layer of buyer's protection
3. Wizard offers a knock-off speed reducer (not recommended)
Clear View Retractable Screen Doors Reviewed
Clearview is a different animal of retractable. Representing the premium end of the market- they are typically priced 10-15% more than the rest, but offers several distinction from Wizard, Phantom, and Mirage Retractable Screens.
1. Speed Reducer- Clearview is the only retractable screen that does not SNAP back- this is a very big deal.
2. ClearView screen doors can span larger openings
3. They are powder coated
4. They are much prettier to look at it with great attention to detail.
Here is a website with much more detail: ClearView Retractable Screens