Rose - The King Among Flowers
About The Rose
Lovers of the beautiful and fragrant rose flower are spread worldwide. Without a rose plant, a garden often, looks incomplete. Who doesn't like a garden full of colored roses and their intoxicating fragrance? I bet there aren't many who can resist a rose.
Though there are many varieties of roses not much by the way of maintenance is needed to grow them and enjoy their beauty. The only requirement is space, sunlight and water.
To start, we will look at the different rose varieties available.
Roses can broadly be classified into 5 varieties. Of these the most preferred are the Hybrid T, floribunda and the miniature varieties. The 5 varieties are :
1. Miniature - Roses of this variety grow as clusters or button roses. These plants are short in height and there is a wide range of available colors. These are planted in the front rows.
2. Polyantha Miniature - These are medium height plants normally planted in the second row.
3. Hybrid T - Both medium and tall plants exist in this variety. Only one flower blooms per stalk but it lasts for a long time. The flowers are large, beautiful and available in a variety of colors. From a single colored rose to the shaded hybrid flowers there is a wide range to choose from. These plants are planted in the rear rows.
4. Floribunda - These plants are of medium height. The quality of the flowers is as good as the Hybrid T's but they grow in clusters of 2-3 roses like the polyantha.
5. Creeper Rose - These plants can be made to climb pillars or even a balcony wall. If something in the garden needs to be covered, these are very suitable plants. Normally, creeper plants bear white, pink and yellow flowers only.
Planting Of Roses
If you are planting a rose plant in the soil dig a hole 1 foot deep and 9 inches in diameter.
For making the soil mix, use 2 parts of cow dung manure, 1 part of soil and 1 part of sand. Mix well and fill in the hole.
It would be prudent to add a little neem cake or mustard cake. Once all these things are in place fill water in the hole and let it stand for 2 to 3 days.
Now plant the rose sapling.
This soil mix can also be used for potted plants but before putting it in the pot put some stones or brick pieces and some sand to prevent the blockage of the water drainage hole and to prevent waterlogging of the plant later..
If the rose plants that you buy for planting are in small pots or in polythene bags then remove them along with the soil and plant them.
However, if the bought plants have little soil then keep them in water for a while and then plant them in the soil mix so that the roots can spread faster as the soil is now softened by the water you already put in the hole.
Caring For Roses
Roses always flower on new branches. Therefore keep pruning the branches at regular intervals especially taking care to remove withered flowers. This is especially true for the hybrid roses as the desi rootstock gives off shoots that need to be pruned as soon as possible otherwise they will overtake the hybrid rose in growth.
Pruning also makes the flowers healthier and improves their quality.
To check whether the root is from the rootstock or the hybrid check the number of leaves on the stalk. The rootstock shoots have 7-8 large leaves while the hybrid has 4-5 small leaves. Also, the hybrid has lesser thorns than the rootstock branches.
It is necessary to cut away all dried branches and the growth from the rootstock for proper growth of the rose plant.
Roses need balanced mineral nutrition. The doe requirement of this depends upon the variety of the rose plant. It is therefore prudent to consult a specialist for this while purchasing roses.
It has to be ensured that water should not be allowed to stagnate around the rose plant as standing water harms the roots. Ensure proper drainage/removal of surplus water.
Protection From Pests
If you see spiders or other pests around the rose plant take immediate measures like spraying the plants with the right pesticide. During monsoon attack of root rot and leap line are common. Leap line disease causes the leaves to turn black, almost burnt like while root rot causes them to turn yellow and the plant starts drying up. If you see these signs immediately spray copper oxyflouride on the plants. As a routine a monthly spray of pesticides should be given to the rose plants.
Rose plants need enough sunlight so plant them where they can get full sunlight for most of the day or at least 4-5 hours of good sunlight per day.
With this, we cpme to the end of this short guide to rose planting and caring for them.
I hope this read has been interesting and useful. And it has sparked in you a desire to grow this King of flowers.
Some Of My Other Hubs
- Health Benefits Of Cashews With Nutritional Facts, C...
Cashews are one of the healthy foods that inspite of being high in fats and calories provide a lot of health benefits. Read on to learn about the health benefits of cashews...
- The Benefits Of Aloe Vera And Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera - also known by various names like - miracle plant, burn plant, fountain of youth, healing plant, lily of the desert etc is so called because of its monumental and wide ranging health benefits to humans. It is the oldest known medicinal pla
- Some Amazing Benefits Of Chia Seeds And How They Ar...
Chia seeds, the wonder food, also called the Running Food
- Nutmeg (Jaiphal) & Nutmeg Essential Oil - Health & N...
Nutmeg and its essential oil have been used to treat a wide variety of health issues. Learn about these health benefits and how you can easily make nutmeg oil at home...
- Facts About Red Wine And The Health Benefits Of Red ...
Red wine, of all the different types of wines, offers a variety of health benefits, if consumed in moderation. Read on for more about the facts and health benefits of red wine...
Below is a video made my me showing how you can easily make Gulkand or Rose Petal Jam at home.
How To Make Gulkand [Rose Petal Jam] In Hindi With English Subtitles
10 Easy Tips for Growing Roses
Caring for your Rose Garden Year Round - Professional Tips
© 2016 Rajan Singh Jolly