The Benefits of a Whole House Humidifier
Thinking About Installing A Humidifier?
Well stop thinking about it and do it. Having a whole house humidifier is one of the most beneficial and cost efficient additions to a home's heating system there is. Many people don't realize the full impact proper whole home humidification plays in our lives and pocket books. If they did, everyone would have one.
Let's take a good look at why having a humidifier installed is such a good investment by starting with the cost of doing so and then how the benefits will far exceed the expense.
Installing a Humidifier Yourself
Installing a humidifier isn't really all that difficult or complicated. If you're comfortable with some basic plumbing, low voltage wiring, and you have a few sheet metal tools, you could consider installing it yourself.
Could you install a humidifier yourself?
How Much Does It Cost To Install A Whole House Humdifier?
With all the various humidifier brands and models on the market and the fact that different companies charge different rates, it's hard to say exactly what your cost will be however I think I can give you a pretty good idea.
Based on a mid-level humidifier with automatic sensing and control abilities, I think you'd find most companies in the range of $500 to install one for you. If being done while installing a new furnace, you should be able to do so a bit cheaper as a bundle and could consider a manual unit that costs a bit less as well. There are fan forced and steam units that will run significantly more but my recommendation is that a mid-level automatic unit is highly beneficial while also affordable.
Replace Your Humidifier Water Panel
Be sure to replace your humidifier's water panel every year. Though a humidifier can help with your health, an old water panel that's sat unused in the off season can contain mold and mildew. It's a good idea to do this at the end of the season rather than the beginning of next.
Humidifier Water Panel Replacements
The Health Benefits of Humidification
Our health is one of the most important benefits of having a whole home humidifier. Aside from feeling good, the less we are sick the less we spend going to the doctor. Here are a few of the reasons humidification increases the likelihood of our being healthy.
- Our sinuses are not as likely to dry out leading to less discomfort and less ideal conditions for bacteria to travel.
- Making it harder for bacteria to travel of course leads to less sickness since bacteria doesn't travel as well in moist conditions.
- Feel better sooner. Should you get sick, you may notice it will take less time to begin feeling better and lower the frequency of coughing and sneezing.
- Your skin will stay softer longer throughout the winter.
- You'll sleep better with less interruption from dry nose, mouth, and throat issues as well as reduced snoring for those who notice an increase due to drying out.
- Healthier plants provide fresher, cleaner air and keeping our air humidified will lead to healthier plants during this time of year.
All of these things produce their own financial benefits such as less body lotion, fewer dying plants to replace, and most importantly, less trips to the doctor. How many trips to the doctor would it take to pay off the cost of installing a humidifier? Not too many based on my experience.
Accessing A Humidifier Water Panel
How Homes Benefit From Humidification
Our home's health provides many reasons why installing a humidifier is not only a good idea but one of the largest cost savings aspects of doing so. Here are a few things for you to consider while making the decision to install your humidifier.
- Less expansion and contraction of furniture, wood trims, and cabinetry. This decrease will keep seams from splitting, joints from separating, and finished from deteriorating. How many cracked cabinets would it take to pay for your humidifier? I'd say not many more than one.
- Lower heating bills and more comfort. Moist air holds heat much better than dry air so not only will it decrease the frequency of your HVAC equipment cycling but you'll also feel warmer perhaps even at lower thermostat settings.
- Lesser to no static shocks. Okay, I admit, this may not be a benefit to your home or even your wallet but won't it be nice to kiss your spouse again without being zapped or pet the dog and cat without both of you jumping back from the occasion?
Choose Better Air Conditions For Your Home
It's hard to argue that the benefits of having a humidifier installed on your furnace won't far outweigh the cost. Clearly one can see how one home repair or one trip to the doctor can nearly pay off this investment and since this investment will last years, well, you do the math.
Of course you can't put a price on your comfort and convenience of not having to deal with the issues that can arise more often without a humidifier.
I hope this article helps you to make this decision and that you get to see first hand how good of a decision it was when you give loved ones a static free kiss once again!
© 2017 Dan Robbins