Tips on how to Use Lemon in Household
The magic of Lemon. Lemon and Human Health.
Lemon is one of the most popular fruits from Asia. It is widely known that lemon is one of the richest containers of vitamin C, which is a powerful weapon against viral diseases. Since ancient times doctors were prescribing this magic fruit as a medicine and as a prophylaxis to boost the weakened immune system. Inhaling the smell of lemon can cure depression and improve mood.
It is also widely known that lemon can make almost any food taste delicious when added in right proportions. However, not many of us know that lemon can help maintaining your home. Curious to know how?
Using Lemon in Household
1. Cleaning up metal surfaces in the kitchen or bathroom. Lemon slices can be used to clean the water drop marks on your water tap or sink. Just cut a slice of lemon and rub it into the metal surface of whatever you are cleaning. By the way, the cleaning qualities of lemon acid can be also used in other places apart from kitchen and on different surfaces (like wood, glass or faience). Just use your imagination and try whatever works. Lemon mixed with cooking salt is also believed to be a good cleaner for marble surfaces, but use it only as your last chance to clean up the surface, since lemon acid can also damage it.
2. Air refreshment. Lemon juice is a perfect weapon against any kind of unpleasant smell in your apartment. It can refresh the air in the fridge and eliminate the mold odor. Sprinkle some lemon juice on cotton balls and place them in the refrigerator, but do not forget to get rid of any products that cause the unwanted smell.
3. Clean up fruits, vegetables. It is well known fact that many of the fruits and vegetables we buy in the shops might have been sprinkled with poisonous chemicals before reaching our kitchen table, therefore cleaning their surface with a little bit of lemon juice is a good practice: not only it removes the pesticides and dirt, but also leaves them smelling nicely.
Additionally, if you want to refresh the air in your room, add some lemon zest and cinnamon sticks into water and heat up the mix.
4. Bleaching. Use lemon juice to bleach delicate white clothes or other cloth. Instead of using the common bleaching method, leave the cloth in the mix of water and lemon juice for at least half an hour before placing it in the washing machine. Additionally, applying freshly squeezed lemon juice on blots before washing may help to clean your clothes. It is also believed that adding a glass of lemon juice into your washing machine along with washing powder helps with cleaning.Your clothes is going to smell nicely and look brighter.
5. Maintaining your cat's tray. Cut a lemon in pieces and place some pieces (cut side up) into your cat's tray to eliminate the odor. However, this is a rare practice, since most types of cat litter perfectly absorb the smell nowadays.
6. Common clothes moth (tineola bisselliella) can be a palgue of any household. It heartlessly destroys even new clothes and makes your wardrobe dirty.To get rid of clothing moth, rub some lemon into the surface of your wardrobe. It will keep the pests away from your clothes.
7. You can wash away almost any dirt (especially grease) off your hands and fingers by washing them in lemon juice mixed with water.
8. If your garbage starts producing an unpleasant smell before you throw it away, you can decrease or even eliminate the smell by adding a slice of lemon into it. However, it is recommended that you throw away your garbage on time.
9. Lemon as pesticide. It is not only clothes moth that can be fought against with the help of lemon. The fruit is a good pesticide against cockroaches and ants. Just apply some lemon juice on the corners from which the insects keep coming and they will soon understand that they are not being expected.
Video: 8 Great Household Uses for Lemons
Additional tip: Lime is a green citrus fruit that is usually less acid than lemon, but it can also be used in a number of tips instead of a lemon, like cleaning or chasing away the pests (it has a similar smell).